• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cut patches and burnt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfisher76544

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Alright fellas, I am back from the sandbox and finally got to shoot my Blue ridge today. I flinched quiet a bit, but still had a lot of fun. When I picked up some of the patches, I noticed that there were a lot of "cuts" on some of the patches. They are the pre-lubed 0.10 thick ones from cabelas along with .490 round ball. Now not all of the patches had cuts, but one did burn up. I was using 60 grains of FF, along with 4F priming. The gun is a .50 and didnt have any issues other than the 'flinch' I have to get over. So whats the deal with the patches?

p.s. Yes the flintlock bug has bitin me! :hatsoff:

Use a .015 patch. Those .010 are too thin. The gases are blowing by and through them, either cutting them, or burning them. That is what you are seeing.

Welcome home. Thank you for your service to our country. :hatsoff:

Appreciate it, was thinking the same here too. Have to head back in about another week, only on my mid tour leave.

You may have to play with different combos but it will take some time to break in the bore, some use steel woll or shoot maxies lubed with grinding compound, in the final analasys patch condition is important but grouping is more so if the balls are hitting on top of each other I don't care what the patch looks like.

Forget the patches, work on the flinch.

Some guys I have talked to complained the military
had reduced some marksmanship basics in favor of "spray n pray."
Good for short close stuff, but you got to hold them flinters.

I have an acquaitence who is retired, a professional shooter, and trains Army snipers.
He likes flintlocks because their sometime delays help him to improve his steady hold for long range stuff.

Can't say enough for you folks who are carrying the flag.
You'll always know you are one of those who paid their dues.
Good luck, don't bunch up, keep moving, and never, ever, quit.

Start with thicker patches, then go to a larger ball if that doesn't work.

You DO care what your patches look like. If they are cut or blown apart. you will NOT have consistent good groups.

Like TG stated, give the barrel a polish job with either the lubed(valve lapping compound) maxi's, oiled steelwool or a patch made from 3M scotchbrite pad,well oiled/lubed. 40 -50strokes will take the sharp edges and burrs off. that anda lot of barrels dont come into their own for about the first 150-200 rounds. Thicker patch, probly so!
enough to think about for now.
Thanks for doing the deed for our country,I.for one, am PROUD of you!

Stay safe!

Brett.

"You DO care what your patches look like. If they are cut or blown apart. you will NOT have consistent good groups'

Sometimes... do check your patches but make sure evrything else is the same from shot to shot, I have had guns that tore ot burnt the patch a bit that would keep the balls touching at 40 yds,the point is not to make the condition of the patch your primary concern.

Thank you for your service. I'm sure a little experimentation with patch & ball size will solve your problem with the patch cutting. Be safe as possible.

Back