• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Custom Flintlock, trying to determine the maker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Black

36 Cal.
Reaction score
photo.jpg

image2.jpg

image.jpg

Here are a few picture's I would like you guys to take a look at. My main question is whether the "A" on the top of the barrel flat is the makers mark or the barrel makers mark. The 50cal barrel is around 42" long and is octagon to round. The rifle has never been shot. Even the rear sight isn't notched! I picked it up for what I thought was a pretty good price ($400)and I'm hoping someone on here can give me an idea of who made it and whether I got a good deal or not. Thanks for looking!

Haven't got a clue. Just want to say that was a real good buy :thumbsup: Dilly

Nice rifle. The lock and barrel probably cost $400. The "A" is most likely the builder, though I have no idea who that might be. Someone on here will probably know.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for someone to say who built it.

There are a lot of makers out there that no one has heard of.

If you found a Pennsylvania style rifle with JLK stamped on the barrel you would never guess it was built by me. :)

Most makers will put their Identifiction on the bottom flat of the barrel. Take the barrel out of the stock and inspect the bottom flat. Also look at the barrel mortise to see if his name is written there.

Some builders who put together a lock( kit) will put their initials or name on the inside of the lock plate. So, take the lock off and look there.

And, open that patch box. I have seen maker's names on the inside of the lid( underside as it is) and even written on the bottom of the patch box. :thumbsup:

Could stand for Avance? as in TVM
A call to Matt and ask if he ever marked his like it would tell.
I'm sure it wouldn't bother him.

Thanks everyone for the information. I'll give TVM a call and see if he can help me. I think the builder that made it has a booth set up every year at the Greene County, OH trade show at the fairgrounds. I just can't remember his name. Worse case, I'll have to wait til March to find out. Thanks again :grin:

You got a fantastic deal. I wouldn't be surprised if that rifle wasn't at least worth double that.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it was built from an "in the white" Tip Curtis gun or possibly by Tip. Tip get's his pre-carved stocks from Red Brush Stocks near Jackson Ohio and they are the only one I know that makes a wooden patch box that wide. They also do the Jaeger pre-carves kits for R E Davis with the same wide patch box. Regardless of who made it, you got a steal and that Oct. to Round barrel should handle nicely.

Well, a "steal" is an understatement. If just the parts were bought and you used a precarved stock, you are looking at 600-700 bucks. An in the white from Tip if it was that would go at least a grand. I wish I could find deals like that. I build my own but I could flip a gun like that real quick and easy.

Back