• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CSS Virginia 9" Dahlgren Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Blancard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Thought I would share a piece of history with you'all. Here are some photos of the only surviving gun from the historic ironclad CSS Virginia. This gun was seriously damaged during CSS Virginia's battle with the USS Congress and USS Cumberland the day before its historic battle with the USS Monitor on March 9th, 1862. Loss of life resulted when the gun sustained a direct hit from the Cumberland. Amazingly, the heroic crew continued to fire the gun after the hit. When the Virginia returned to port after the battle, the gun was immediately replaced that night. The next day when she steamed out to do battle with Monitor, she was again in full fighting trim. This gun is currently on loan to the city of Fredericksburg Virginia from the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Dahlgren Virginia.

CSS Virginia 9" Dahlgren Gun

I work at NSWC Dahlgren. There are other interesting cannon on display on the base. If there is interest, I can get photos of other interesting ordnance.

Steve

Cool ... I would like to see more if available! :thumbsup:

Davy

I`ve built replicas of John Erricson hot air engines, i`ve been told that he built the Monitor.
Is there any documatation of that?

Yes Ericsson was the designer of "the floating cheesebox"

Very interesting story how it all got pushed through. After the Merrimac's hull was re-floated, and the Confederacy made the push to armor her fully, the Union Navy was scrambling for a warship. Monitor was built in about 3-4 months as I remember, that's from design acceptance to operational status.

Monitor was a truly unique warship, probably the first modern warship to see service(my opinion on the matter).

Y'all are talking my bread and butter now, my focus in grad school will be the sail-steam transition(granted I make it in....), primarily ending with the monitor class ships.

Yep Erricsson was quite the inventor,John Erricsson's Stirling powerd ship of circa 1850 had 2 power cylinders of 14 ft. dia. X 6 ft. stroke and moved very slowly. It`s said they could stand on the pistons and ride up and down, it was later scraped because of the water needed to cool it and fuel required to run it exceaded a steam engine of the day.
He also built a solor powered Ryder hot air engine that was way before its time.
Interesting guy and subject, please post any more info ya find about the ship and Erricsson.

Back