• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crowning Accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By definition the crown is just the end face of the barrel - no matter what shape/condition it is in. And I would bet dollars to donuts that any true target rifle will have a nicely done even crown on it.

A bad crown - uneven, unaligned to the bore, dented dinged and scraped - is detrimental to accuracy, doesn't matter if it is a cartridge gun or a muzzle loader. Bumping the edge of the muzzle will damage the crown, which is why it ruins accuracy :)

No. And a nicely crowned barrel can have a flat face, recessed and flat face, angled face, etc.

Good news, is that with basically any well done crown other than just a perfect flat square cut at the muzzle (recessed and flat, 11 degree cone target crown, etc) - you get the benefits of both accuracy/consistency and protection of it from most accidental damage (watch those bending ramrods and make sure you aren't scrubbing grit into the edge of it with the ramrod when loading, swabbing or cleaning)

The crown is simply the raised area on the barrel's muzzle that allows a slight recess at the bore. Crowning is done to protect the bore edge from dents and burrs should the muzzle strike against or be struck by a hard object. Rifling must be absolutely true at the end of the barrel for maximum accuracy and must be protected.

Barrel Crowning | An Official Journal Of The NRA

Ruling out false muzzles and those dreaded suppository guns.

By definition if a muzzle is not crowned is it not perfectly flat?

If the muzzle is perfectly flat do you not have sharp edges at every perfectly 90 degree land and groove?

Will this not cut the patches when loading?

(Next comes the yeah but, yeah but, answers)
Not if where the bore intersects the face of the muzzle if it's chamfered.

Now let's see a picture of the OPs muzzle!

By definition the crown is just the end face of the barrel - no matter what shape/condition it is in. And I would bet dollars to donuts that any true target rifle will have a nicely done even crown on it.

A bad crown - uneven, unaligned to the bore, dented dinged and scraped - is detrimental to accuracy, doesn't matter if it is a cartridge gun or a muzzle loader. Bumping the edge of the muzzle will damage the crown, which is why it ruins accuracy :)

No. And a nicely crowned barrel can have a flat face, recessed and flat face, angled face, etc.

Good news, is that with basically any well done crown other than just a perfect flat square cut at the muzzle (recessed and flat, 11 degree cone target crown, etc) - you get the benefits of both accuracy/consistency and protection of it from most accidental damage (watch those bending ramrods and make sure you aren't scrubbing grit into the edge of it with the ramrod when loading, swabbing or cleaning)
Your last paragraph should clear this debate up! I agree with you.

If you are using a patched round ball, cone it.
I have a .54 crowned that can keep everything in 2.5” at 82 yards.
I have crowned at least 4 rifles and never saw a difference.
I do measure groups and don’t use the words “shoots fine” etc.
If being historical is relevant, no one used a short starter in the old days. They crowned their guns.

I have seen a series where a guy deliberately messed with the crown. It took amazing damage before it degraded.

I just don't think you touch anything that is working.

An eleven degree chamber is referring to the throat angle at the end where as an eleven degree crown is the angle (inward slope) in relation to a flat/level crown cut.
MY mistake, I thought the word was chamber not chamfer ! A chamfer is generally a short break over angle on a sharp corner where as the crown is the main angle inward of the crowns level/flat .
My crowning and forcing cone tools provide cutters for both angles and purposes.

Back