• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crown & 1828...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zonie said:
I have no control over such things.
The information on the Membership guide http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/premium.php
says you have 15 minutes. Paying members have 30 minutes to edit their last post.

Guess I'll have to make sure of what I'm writing before I press 'send'.

The way MY brain works, in 'trains of thoughts', means that ALL the 'information cars' don't get to the same place at the same time...

A bit like a real train........the first one comes first.

tac

Last edited by a moderator:
It is an interesting and apparently well-made piece. I also agree that it was built in the Khyber Pass area. The guys up there have been turning out all kinds of copies of British military arms for a very long time including Sten guns. They are amazing gun-builders. The musket looks great over the fireplace and that is where I would leave it.

I agree with Tac and others here. This gun has many of the hallmarks of a Khyber Pass made gun. From the photos the barrel looks longer than 42" ? Where are you measuring from? Anyway, here are some observations:
Lock: The hammer looks too wide. I looked at my original Enfield and Snider and the width of the hammers is more narrow. The lock plate could be original? The crown is in approximately the right postion, but the attemted numbers on the plate I'm confident are spurious. As Tac mentioned, most of the people in this region could not even read or write their own language, much less a foreign one. To much of the masses any gun considered to be of all/part European manufacture was often viewed to be of more value thus gaining a higher selling
price. A photo of the interior of the lock would likely tell the story. Seldom are the interior working parts of the locally made locks up to European standards, especially the springs. Notice also there is only one lock bolt screw utilized. The other screw is simply a wood screw.
Stock: Notice the rear sling swivel is attached with a brass pin vs a steel screw. The barrel bands appear to be originals? But hard to tell from the photos. Would be interesting to see a close up photo of the bands and weather or not they are attached with a screw or pinned. Wonder if the stock was made as one or two pieces? The ramrod was locally made and looks typical to the region. The trigger guard looks like it might be original Enfield. (?)
Barrel: Would be interested to know if the barrel is rifled or smooth bore? The position of the rear sight at the far back of the breech is the most common position I see on these Mid-East type guns. I've seen them dovetailed, welded, and made as part of the breech plug. The barrel was most likely a locally made variant.

Overall, this gun looks like a typical KP made gun from the mid-late 19th Century utilizing salvaged parts where available. It's a very nice and interesting example. Thanks for posting. Rick. :hatsoff:

Rick, thanks for the info. I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.
I originally measured the barrel at 46" but then read that the barrel length is measured by placing a wooden dowel in the barrel, drawing a line on the dowel and then measuring from the end of the dowel to the mark, hence 42".
The wooden stock definitely appears to be made as one piece.
I've looked into the barrel with a flashlight and it appears to be smooth... did not see any rifling.
I don't notice any pins or screws holding on the barrel bands. I think they may be spring loaded???

013-7.jpg

003-12.jpg

011-6.jpg

009-10.jpg

007-13.jpg

005-18.jpg

Warning!!! if you measured the inside of the barrel at 42" you need to measure the outside from the muzzle to where the barrel meets the wood at the start of the tang. If that measures 46" then the gun is LOADED!!! or the barrel is plugged.

Yes, from the looks of that rifle in the first photo, that barrel is more than 42" long. Better check it out carefully. It may have more than one load in it or simply plugged.

The barrel bands on most P-53 (P-53/3) Enfields were clamp type. There would be a screw running crosswise at the bottom through the band. Where the sling swivel is rivetted to the band on yours is where a screw would go. That should be held on by a screw. The earlier P53/1 Enfields had band springs inletted in the stock like the American Springfield in front of the bands. The forward band (nearest the muzzle) was wider than the other two.

I re-measured the barrel...
Externally the barrel measures, from the muzzle to the rear sight, almost 46 1/2";
Internally the barrel measures almost 42 1/2".
I have to assume then there is a 4" plug in the barrel... would this be correct? What is the purpose of 'plugging' the barrel? What type of material might be used for this plug?
Thank you all for providing me (a 'newbie' to muskets) with information about this firearm. :bow:

There's something in there that doesn't belong. You need to use a ball screw on a ramrod and see if you can thread it into the bullet that may be in there and pull it out if you have the tools. If not, you'll need to find someone who can. If you have a local gunsmith who is familiar with muzzleloaders, that would be your best bet. Once the bullet (or whatever it is) is out, turn the gun muzzle down and see if there was powder behind it. Then go through the process again until you reach the breechplug. Who knows? It may just be a piece of wood jammed in there. It's also possible that you'll have to remove the breechplug and try to remove the obstruction from the rear. Just be sure not to get impatient and stick a cap on there and try to shoot it out. You just don't know what might be in there, possibly even smokeless powder and that would turn that nice piece into a grenade.

If you have a worm for your ramrod (looks like a corkscrew), try it first and see if there's just paper wadding in there. It's possible that there is a shot load and if there is, it will be easier to remove. Pull the wadding, dump the shot. There may be another wad of some sort under the shot followed by the powder charge. Could be more than one load (considering the space taken up) or just one great big one.

The musket is back in her home on pegs above the fireplace. Still 'plugged' but she (or me) does not plan on trying to fire it. Thank you all for the information. :bow: I've printed all your responses out for her to read and learn more of her musket.

Latest posts

Back