• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crow hunting tomorrow!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longfowler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
tommorow morning starts NH's crow season, and I'm all excited 'cuz I'm taking my cva 12 ga. double. I've even got my hunting bag in the truck allready! I took a nice tom this spring with that gun, and now I'm going to attempt to impress my hunting buddies with my wing shooting prowess using a smokepole. I'm planning on using a lighter load than I did for turkey, 60 grs of 1f & 80 grs volume of #5's. hopefully I'll have some pics of the black bandits by tomorrow night!

Good luck and hopefully crows where you're hunting are easier to kill than where I am from because I can hardly get them in range with a full choked modern shotgun.

well the crows weren't flying this morning due to a heavy fog, so we switched tactics and went over to a local farmer's barn to shoot piegeons. I managed a 1/2 dozen birds out of about 30 shots, but my buddies with the autoloaders only hit around a dozen each - pretty poor average considering they went thru 2 boxes of shells apiece!

I stumbled across a murder of crows this week while working. I'll let it cool off a good bit before I do any hunting though.

Got any good recipes???

Use any recipe you have for dove. One of my favorites, has the breast meat removed from the breast bone, than each half wrapped in bacon, and a water chestnut, the bacon and chestnut held onto the breast with a toothpick. Then the pieces are steamed in a milk season with salt, pepper, garlic, and butter, after being lightly sauteed in a frying pan with shortening. Some crows are large, so you can cut each breast half in two, to make a bite sized "hors d' oeuvres".

I personally don't think there is enough meat in most such birds to bother cooking the whole bird. If you are looking to make a soup stock, through the back, legs, wings, etc. into a pot a boil away, but I think its a waste of time to try to eat the meat off of the bones of small birds. Even the legs on Pheasants don't have enough meat on them to make an Hors d' oeuvres". On the other hand, I have seen people go nuts over the legs( drumsticks) off a Cornish game hen, So do as you wish. Any recipe you find for a cornish game hen can be used in cooking crow, too. The difference is that the breast meat on a crow is a dark meat- usually deep purple or red.

You can go to the web site for crowbusters and look up recipes there. The site is www.crowbusters.com Avery interesting site................watch yer top knot

Last edited by a moderator:
My goodness I thought at first Cow season was on and was like WHAT! :haha: Well good luck, crow ain't to bad if prepared right. :thumbsup:

Back