• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2019 Turkey Hunt Round One

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackley

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The 2019 turkey hunt has started out with a bad start. My two original partners had to back out. So I got a another and his son. The two had never turkey hunted before. And with there work schedules we only had three days to hunt.
On day one we sat up camp and had lunch as I was moving the truck out of camp a group on turkeys came thru camp. My two rookie partners got all excited ran and loaded the guns I had loaned them and chased the birds. Took a shot at them at about 40 yards, with a short land bess and the birds left the canyon.

Here's a couple of pics of camp and the canyon.
GEDC0268.JPG

GEDC0271.JPG

GEDC0263.JPG

So I thought the afternoon hunt would be a wash, but I managed to call in a jake to about 50 yards but he hung up on a fence and we dueled back an forth for about an hour. Till he shut up and left. My partners had gone up the canyon and had not taken my advice and use the turkey wingbone call instead of chase. They thought they could sneak up on a group found out otherwise.
Well the next mourning I had high hopes. I scaled the canyon and threw out a locating call and had two toms thundering back at me. I worked these birds all mourning but they wouldn't leave the hens. Walked back down the canyon wall to eat breakfast at about 11: 00 oclock. Had a great breakfast omelet of aspargrass, onion, ham olives and cheese.

We then went fishing in the afternoon I with my cane pole and them with there spinning gear. They caught all the fish. Well my buddies son says is there anyplace to make a call. so we walked to a high spot about a mile away, and he got called into work, so they break their camp and head out. (No more cell phones in camp)
I tried for a late afternoon hunt no luck.

Next mourning right from camp I called a locating call and got a thunderous gobble probably three hundred yards away, But unfortunately about straight up. But it was a gobble. So up I go now this took awhile to get up to the top but I made it only to hear him go into the next draw. So back down I go. This is a pic of the wall doesn't look like much in a pic.
GEDC0265.JPG
Well I get back down to the bottom and hear a gobble back on top on the right fork so back up I go. We talked back and forth all the way to the top. He was not going to come to me. So I get to the top find a small opening in the cedars set up a couple of decoys and begin to call. Nothing!!! Absolutely nothing!!! I wondered around up there for an hour never heard a thing!
So back down I go, I get halfway down and he's back where I set the decoys up. And he acts hot I would let out a single yelp and he'd gobble right back. So back up I go. By now I'm worn out from climbing up there three times, its takes along time to get back up there set the decoys and nothing but a hen yelping. It's now 2 o'clock and I have to break camp and get home and get ready for a shoot this weekend.
BUT I'LL BE BACK FOR ROUND TWO!!!

Last edited:
The 2019 turkey hunt has started out with a bad start. My two original partners had to back out. So I got a another and his son. The two had never turkey hunted before. And with there work schedules we only had three days to hunt.
On day one we sat up camp and had lunch as I was moving the truck out of camp a group on turkeys came thru camp. My two rookie partners got all excited ran and loaded the guns I had loaned them and chased the birds. Took a shot at them at about 40 yards, with a short land bess and the birds left the canyon.

Here's a couple of pics of camp and the canyon.
View attachment 8938
View attachment 8939
View attachment 8940
So I thought the afternoon hunt would be a wash, but I managed to call in a jake to about 50 yards but he hung up on a fence and we dueled back an forth for about an hour. Till he shut up and left. My partners had gone up the canyon and had not taken my advice and use the turkey wingbone call instead of chase. They thought they could sneak up on a group found out otherwise.
Well the next mourning I had high hopes. I scaled the canyon and threw out a locating call and had two toms thundering back at me. I worked these birds all mourning but they wouldn't leave the hens. Walked back down the canyon wall to eat breakfast at about 11: 00 oclock. Had a great breakfast omelet of aspargrass, onion, ham olives and cheese.

We then went fishing in the afternoon I with my cane pole and them with there spinning gear. They caught all the fish. Well my buddies son says is there anyplace to make a call. so we walked to a high spot about a mile away, and he got called into work, so they break their camp and head out. (No more cell phones in camp)
I tried for a late afternoon hunt no luck.

Next mourning right from camp I called a locating call and got a thunderous gobble probably three hundred yards away, But unfortunately about straight up. But it was a gobble. So up I go now this took awhile to get up to the top but I made it only to hear him go into the next draw. So back down I go. This is a pic of the wall doesn't look like much in a pic.View attachment 8941 Well I get back down to the bottom and hear a gobble back on top on the right fork so back up I go. We talked back and forth all the way to the top. He was not going to come to me. So I get to the top find a small opening in the cedars set up a couple of decoys and begin to call. Nothing!!! Absolutely nothing!!! I wondered around up there for an hour never heard a thing!
So back down I go, I get halfway down and he's back where I set the decoys up. And he acts hot I would let out a single yelp and he'd gobble right back. So back up I go. By now I'm worn out from climbing up there three times, its takes along time to get back up there set the decoys and nothing but a hen yelping. It's now 2 o'clock and I have to break camp and get home and get ready for a shoot this weekend.
BUT I'LL BE BACK FOR ROUND TWO!!!
Jerry,
Great hunting story!!
You didn't score this time but the promise is definitely there at that spot!!
Very nice camp set up!!
I like that cot/bed a lot!
Got pics of it ?
Best of luck on round two!!

The Sicilian

Jerry,
Great hunting story!!
You didn't score this time but the promise is definitely there at that spot!!
Very nice camp set up!!
I like that cot/bed a lot!
Got pics of it ?
Best of luck on round two!!

The Sicilian
Look under Camp and Trail Gear The thread Fancy Camp Beds its the very last post. Its dusty from being stored in the horse barn all winter.

"BUT ILL BE BACK FOR ROUND TWO!!!"

Now, that's the spirit! I've said recently that these birds are known for throwing curveballs our way. Heck, I've know them to include a knuckle-ball from time to time.

Sounds like they gave you some quality cardio-vascular work, jackley!

Rooting for you in round two.

Good luck and thanks for the story and great photos, Skychief.

Try to get back within a week, likely be the sweet time and he will come right in REVENGE! (set up above him if possible, I have found its a lot easier to call a tom up than down!) I WISH I COULD GET DRAWN!

I like your hunt set up! I can't wait to get back to doing it that way! Sleeping under Canvas!!

Keep at it! the hens will go off to lay soon and them Toms will be looking for company!!

I can't wait to see how Round Two goes!!

I have not seen or heard anything since my Unlucky/lucky season Start!! I sure have logged the miles too, and nothin!!

Thanks for sharing!

Good luck with round 2.As many birds you heard calling back your shore to get one.NY GRIZ.

That old tom was on the roost last night telling his buddies about his success.

" It was just the other day and that hunter comes up the hill and tries to make a few calls. After the first one, I knew it warn't no other tom so I played with him for a while until he got frustrated and left. Then, the next day there he is again. He let out a few yelps to let me know he was still alive and moving."

"Yup. You guessed it. I let out a couple of yelps and here he comes. Panting and puffing all the way to the top. I kept on yelping until he reached a place about 40 yards from me and then I shut up. He bumbled around making calls but it didn't fool me a bit.
After a while, he went back down the hill and about the time he reached the bottom I let out with another call or two and sure enough, here he came again." :)

"This time after he got up here I just kept my beak shut and watched him. Did you guys know that after climbing up a little hill like this one, them hunters eyes get to bugging out even after they quit puffin' ? It takes a good hour before their eyes finally sink back into their head. Bah, ha, ha, ha.
Well, he finally left, staggering all the way down the hill.
He finally packed up and left."

"The way I figure it, he'll be back within the week so here's my plan. When he's just about done sitting up his camp, Bill: You go over about 80 yards up the hill to the right and let out a couple of yelps. Bob: You go about 100 yards up the hill to the left and when Bill gets done calling him, you let out with a couple of good yelps. When he starts climbing, I'll fly down into his camp and let loose with a few of my loudest blasts.
I'm betting we can keep him going up and down that hill for at least a hour and by then it will be dark."

"Them hunters sure can make a racket bumbling around in the dark as they try to finish getting their camp finished. You get to hear some of the darnedest cussin' and swearin'."

"After a good nights rest, the next day, we should spread about equally about 120 yards from this tree with me going North, Bob going South-West and you Bill going South-East. Before we leave here, we all will let out with some really loud yelps and then get to our positions. I figure spread out like we will be we can keep him moving for most of the day."
:D:D:D

That old tom was on the roost last night telling his buddies about his success.

The trouble I have with that is I'm convinced that turkeys are the origin of the term "bird brain". They are super paranoid about everything and scared of their own shadow, therefore, they are usually hard to hunt except when they occasionally act like idiots with feathers.
I believe they have I.Q.s in the single digits.:confused:

I agree that they are a paranoid bunch!! Low IQ, I do not!! Being a large ground bird they deal with all kinds of predators! And they flourish!

Only thing that gets them killed is what has been killing males of all species for hundreds of years! The female of the species!!
;)

Back