• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

crack stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemoke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
my new gun arrived last week and it came with a 3 1/2 inch hair line crack in the butt stock. I contacted the builder, and he told me to ship it back and he would refund my money, he said he would`nt have the time to fix it. I hate to send it back, it took 13 months to get it. does anyone have any ideas on how this gun stock can be fixed so you can not tell it has been repaired. stock is curley maple :(

Actually seeing the stock and exactly where and the grain structure would tell a lot about how to properly fix this crack. It may be a very simple issue. I am not surprised that he wants you to send it back, I am surprised that he doesn't have time to fix it and wants to refund your money. hmmmmm JMHO

It's probably a drying check. Probably isn't a big deal structurally. For a fix you could take the buttplate off, pry the crack open a bit and put in a high quality glue of your choice and then clamp the crack closed. The crack shouldn't go anywhere then.

I use the runny superglue for cracks like this. It gets in deep into the crack and makes it stronger than new. It's an easy fix really. It's just a shame to wait that long with high expectations and then have them deflated when the gun arrives. :(

My Lancaster has a crack in the stock as well - worried me for awhile but that was over 10 years ago. It's full of grease and grim now - gives it character.

I too used superglue (CYA) on a crack under the tang of a Winchester 1890 .22 pump. Held up fine.

Latest posts

Back