• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coyote Problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So my daughter and I last Saturday, were speaking to a lady who lives about a mile south of us....she has land that backs up to a county park. She told us she saw a Coyote in her yard at 06:30 in the morning in her front yard, and she can hear them yowling at night.

That's very bad news for us who hunt only a few miles away from my town. Coyotes can range pretty far. We had a couple of ewes killed two years ago in a micro-farm about 8 miles south. I looked at them and since they had only been killed and not eaten, I thought feral-dogs, not coyotes.

Maybe I was wrong, or maybe we have some coy-dogs, as the lady on Saturday said it was a coyote-wolf hybrid (don't know how they would've bred with wolves here on the East Coast...now German shepherd male with coyote female, yes)

We have a lot of "no hunting zones" because the suburban sheeple are afraid of bowhunters. So not sure what I'm going to do. Will have to look into it further.

I sure would like to put a .530 ball into a few of them if they are getting numerous, or a REAL .390 conical.

LD

The bad news is that in a few years the only wildlife left in your area will be Squirrels and Coyotes. :( After they wipe your game out they will start making a big loop hunting and pass through your area every couple weeks for a few days to get what is trying to reproduce. :( Been going on here for a few years. I have talked to some other people in other area's and it seems to be the normal way they do business.

Larry

Dunno about the sheep. It would take a first-hand look by someone who knew what they were looking for.

But one thing I do know for sure. Coyotes have a sweet tooth for dogs and cats, especially the soft and sweet varieties that spend a lot of time indoors and eat nothing but the best foods. Pets start disappearing at a high rate in your neighborhoods, you might have neighbors rethinking their anti-hunting stand. Even wise old country dogs aren't immune. More than a few smart cow dogs have been lured off the porch at night by coyotes and paid the price. Ranchers shoot yotes on sight around their headquarters, but they also pen up their prize cow dogs at night.

I'm sure they've been there for a long time. They are part of the landscape now. Plenty of them around here, and still no shortage of deer and turkeys. I think the hype is overrated.

They got a friends dog by having one yote whine and cry at the edge of a tree line a couple hundred yards from the house. Dog charged up the hill to investigate and the rest of the pack came out of the trees and got the dog!

This time of year they respond well to a fawn distress call.

There are coyotes in every eastern state now. My 30 lb Boykin spaniel ran into the pasture and knocked down one of a pair that were out there. They both hauled butt away from her while I was fumbling with a rifle.

There was a Nature show on PBS a few weeks ago about the "super" coyotes that are wolf-coyote crosses. They are mainly in the Northern tier of states east of the Mississippi River and in Canada.
I think ours down here are coyotes and/or coy-dogs.

I had them get ahold of a newborn calf here in Jacksonville day before yesterday. Bite mark on her nose and ears. Last year they pulled the ears off of a few day old calf. I have 3 burros, but they are getting up there in years and can only do so much on a big place.

I see them here about occasionally and hear them at night but have only ever been able to shot two and those were oddball circumstances. One got hung in a fence running away and the other my two bird dogs bayed up long enough for me to shoot. I've never been able to call one in.

Supercracker said:
I had them get ahold of a newborn calf here in Jacksonville day before yesterday. Bite mark on her nose and ears. Last year they pulled the ears off of a few day old calf. I have 3 burros, but they are getting up there in years and can only do so much on a big place.

I see them here about occasionally and hear them at night but have only ever been able to shot two and those were oddball circumstances. One got hung in a fence running away and the other my two bird dogs bayed up long enough for me to shoot. I've never been able to call one in.

Coyotes are a problem. Will not go into all my problems with them.

I have gone to Federal Trappers for help, they do provide relief. Call your local County Extension Agent for help.

I have gone to cameras to monitor my ranch.

You will not call them and shoot them to get rid of them.

When 2 coyotes show up at the Main Gate at Wrigley field after dark, they have learned to survive.

Supercracker said:
...newborn calf....

They learned a real nasty trick on our place. Most calves are born at night, but we've seen them try it with daylight births too:

They get right out in the middle of the herds where you can't shoot them, and it riles the herd real bad to try cutting them out. They know it and stick in the middle of the herd tighter than a tick. The moment a cow drops her calf they haze the cow away from the calf. Doesn't take long at all for the cow to give up, then they can eat any part of the calf they want at their leisure.

Only antidote we've found is to ride the herd each afternoon and spot the cows likely to birth that night, ease them out, and move them up into the pens close to the house. Not enough room for whole herds by any means, but when you can be 95% accurate on which ones will drop overnight, you sure cut down on the coyote loss. Once the cow and calf have a chance to bond, there's almost no chance the coyotes can cut it away from mom.

Loyalist Dave said:
, as the lady on Saturday said it was a coyote-wolf hybrid

LD

From my trapping days I can tell you coyote & raccoon grow at an alarming rate.....for coyote it is about 2 pounds per telling of the story

:yakyak: so if she told the mailman, her sister, 3 people at the hair salon & the nice lady at animal control before she told you. I can just about guarantee that song dog put on 14 pounds.

:rotf:

If trapping is legal find some 14 year old kid with a sign up at the coop. he'll come out this fall and fix ya right up :thumbsup:

Back when my Buddy was a young dog I would sick him on the lone wolf coyote we had sniffing around here. Never seen a critter run as fast as that coyote and he didn't duck branches or go around stuff when he ran away. Just a bee line of him smacking his face into stuff on the way out of Dodge.
As Buddy is huge I never worried about it. But now he is an older dog with an occasional limp so I wouldn't think of letting him give chase.

Shooting them is easier anyways.

I don't know a thing about the Coyote except what you guys in USA post about them.
I do however know a wee bit about Foxes & the Dingos here. They are a worthy adversary but have no more mystic powers than we do. They know where I live & give me a wide berth, but I know where they live. They like to be up high in the timber & to come down into the valley at night they develop a habit of using an easy trail. All you need to know is where he travels & you can find that out during the day by his tracks & finding the scent marking places. They like freshly disturbed earth & will therefore travel along dirt tracks that have been driven over that day. Tying a small log on behind the vehicle & dragging it makes a good trail that they love to follow & all you need then do is hide & wait over the log where you untied it.
Find a good vantage spot along that trail & he will walk right onto the end of your barrel. The territory marking rock or post is a good spot because his attention is mostly on it & therefore his guard down a bit.
It takes patience, time & getting cold & tired but gets results with a gun. Poison has all the patience it takes to sit in a bait & wait. Don't like its indiscriminate nature myself but it is a good little worker as is the fluorescent light tube trick.
O.

And to ALL,

Here in South Texas, I don't know whether the coyotes/coy-dogs crosses/dog packs or the !@#$%! hogs are a BIGGER menace. ====> We have all 4 in "nearly downtown" San Antonio.

At least the hogs, up to about 100#, are GOOD eating when BBQed whole.

yours, satx

They become call shy real quick. Normally I carry a mouth blown call when deer hunting, I kill about 90% of the coyotes that I see, most in the morning.

What we have seen in the last 10 years or so is that they have for the most part quit hollowing at night for some reason.

Trains will make them howl when it is crossing a crossing when blowing it's whistle, other wise not much howling at night.

We have been monitoring them with cameras, for the most part they have gone nocturnal.

If legal in your state- think about snares. The old snares worked with a spring (bent over tree branch) and would choke and kill anything caught. The new snares are made out of cable. They have a washer so the noose can't close more than a three inch diameter- that way if a deer (or sheep) catches one on their foot- they just shake it off. The new snares have a one way washer that tightens down on the critter but doesn't kill it so if you get the neighbor's dog you can let it go. Coyotes wise up pretty fast but if they have never been around snares they may work- try crossing places near fences, etc. Don't set right at the fence as a caught dog could jump over the fence and hang himself. Keep about 4 feet away. When you arrive you have a coyote waiting for you with a real worried look on its face. Sometimes, pretty darn funny. I'll sit and talk the critter for awhile- in my demented way.

crockett said:
If legal in your state- think about snares.

First lock up every single pet dog in the neighborhood. Move the cattle and horses to a different pasture. And while you're at it, shoo all the deer and elk out of the way too.

Snares are incredibly good at grabbing dogs. Never mind the legs of cattle, horses, deer, elk and hikers. Been there, done that, and presented the bills to the guy who snuck onto our place with snares and forced us to put down two prime mama cows and one horse. Never mind bottle feeding the calves for a couple of months after their mamas were dragged off to the bone pit.

Nowadays the poor guy can't even pull off to the side of a road in ranch country without a pickup truck pulling up behind his car and a guy with a rifle waiting for him to cross back over the fence.

Back