• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Correct Sling for a Jaeger?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Curran

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What would I use on my American Jaeger rifle for a sling? This is for a smooth rifle with a 42" 20 ga barrel. I am thinking a swivel on the lower buttstock, and a swivel mid-barrel. I have seen buttons used on the lower butt as well as swivels. What's most correct for a 1740 to1760 style gun? This gun is heavily influenced by the Christian's Spring series of guns shown in Rifles of Colonial America, most recently featured in Muzzle Blasts magazine.

Lookin' for feedback.

Thanks,Tom

It's your call on the rear sling attatchment options. The button positioned between the butt and the trigger guard seems to be the most comfortable to carry as opposed to a swivel on the front of the trigger guard. As for the front they are usually "U" shaped sling attatchments( not any swivel types that I've seen) and placed so that they don't lay across the ram rod when the rifle is upright in the loading position but rather they lay across a ram rod pipe. They are usually located at the first or second pipe. None of what I've said is set in stone but rather a generalization. Researching the net and books would be very rewarding for you. Gotta love them jaegers in their countless varieties!

The button on the buttstock is probably more "typical" of a Jaeger.

Rat

As Jaegermeister has stated, the butt can be a button (much easier) or swivel. Make sure you position the forearm swivel with the care he described. I would only add one thing. Add an additional lug to your barrel where you intend to put the swivel screw/bolt throught the stock. This will give the swivel additional strenght and you won't have to worry about accidentally pulling the swivel through the stock. Just my .02

Thanks for the help everyone.

I'll be sure to mount that front 'U' loop above the ramrod pipe (when the gun is vertical). It would suck if the rod caught on the loop every time I put the rod back in. AND I'll install a lug for the cross bolt!

Thanks again, Tom

Thanks Bob. I forgot about the lug for the front sling attatchment, out of sight, out of mind. :hatsoff:

Back