• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Converting a Traditions Pennsylvania to flint, and back to cap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a beautiful Traditions Pennsylvania that I purchased from a member here on the forum a couple of months ago, and I have been thinking about converting it to a flint, and keeping it so I can also use it as a caplock.

Has anyone here had any experience doing that with a Traditions Pennsylvania?

If so, please share your wisdom with me.

I do not want to just convert it and leave it a flint, I want to be able to use it both ways.

Traditions does offer it in both cap and flint, so....... that may be my only option as I do not want to upgrade or change the caplock because it does function very well the way it is.

I did check on TOW, and see nothing specifically listed for The Pennsylvania, and wish to leave the stock as original as possible.

Might just have to find me a Traditions Pennsylvania in flint....
Hehehe, now that would be a shame would it not?

(yes, I did buy back my Pedersoli Frontier... sellers regret set in 5 days later, so at least I have that one in flint :oops:).

Thanks in advance,
railshot

Before I write anything more, I need to know if your breech is one of through threaded Traditions/CVA breeches that have the drum threaded through the breech plug. If you have that breech, then it will not be recommended by me to make the conversion.

Sadly it is one of those.
I think I understand why, but if you have a minute please elaborate on your thoughts and reasons for others and myself.

Thanks Grenadier1758, I will be looking for a flintlock of the same ilk.

I am not sure of the availability of a Traditions/CVA touch hole for their bored through breech. Zonie has posted drawings of the Traditions CVA breech and you can see that the drum or touch hole is drilled into both sides of the breech plug. Any warranty will be voided by removal of the percussion drum (or touch hole on the case of a flintlock). It is difficult to maintain alignment of the threads for the cross threads as the drum or touch hole enters into the breech plug.

The best method for doing the conversion from percussion to flint is to have two barrels and the two locks. One percussion and one flint. I actually have that for a CVA pistol.

I am not sure of the availability of a Traditions/CVA touch hole for their bored through breech. Zonie has posted drawings of the Traditions CVA breech and you can see that the drum or touch hole is drilled into both sides of the breech plug. Any warranty will be voided by removal of the percussion drum (or touch hole on the case of a flintlock). It is difficult to maintain alignment of the threads for the cross threads as the drum or touch hole enters into the breech plug.

The best method for doing the conversion from percussion to flint is to have two barrels and the two locks. One percussion and one flint. I actually have that for a CVA pistol.

Interesting thoughts that I just may pursue..... I like the idea of 2 barrels and 2 locks, that way I could even go to t a .32 cal for the flint to use it for smaller stuff.
Thanks again! You have me thinking.....

Back