• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Convert a CVA Caplock to Flint?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scharms

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm sure there is a thread on this but I couldn't dig it up in a search... Has anyone here converted a CVA caplock squirrel rifle to a rock-lock? I am toying with the idea with one of my .32s... Would it be too difficult, not worth the time or :youcrazy:
Input please?

Don't have one so I don't know but wouldn't it require a new lock and some sort of replacement for the cap lock drum? Modify the stock a bit.
So would it not be more simple and probably no more expensive to just find a flintlock rifle to start with? :hmm:

I can't find the forum that I read it on...

The way it was explained, and that depends on the breach plug and powder drum, was to re-tap the barrel where the powder drum is to 3/8 24 and put in a vent liner. Then, I think it was Jedediah Starr who sells a flint replacement lock.

or here http://lr-rpl.com/index.php?option...tions-lock-small&catid=36:cva-small&Itemid=62

I think it is a little different if you have the powder drum that goes all the way though the breach plug.

It is a little work but doesn't' sound as bad as what I did. I cut off the back of the barrel and started from scratch... ya, don't do that :surrender:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the mid 70's CVA came out with a mountain rifle. their first ones were cap lock. Living here in PA we had to hunt muzzleloading season with Flintlocks. We converted them to flinlocks. We used a CVA kentucky flintlock and a metric "grade 5"bolt from the autoparts store.You need to unscrew the drum and take it to the auoparts store and match the threads. I got mine from a Honda dealer. The drum can be difficult to remove and doing so will void any warranty you have.Take the bolt and run it into the hole in the barrel until it bottoms out. Mark the bolt where it lines up with the barrel.Remove the bolt. Cut the bolt off at the mark and file a screw driver slot into the bolt. The slot should be parallel and run in the direction of the barrel. Look at the drum you removed and match the hole sizes,depths, and location to your new part.Be very accurate with this because the hole that is perpendicular with the bolt has to line up with the bore and bottom out at the same time. Screw your new part into the barrel. Put in your new flintlock and center punch it at the center of the flash pan where the frizzen and the pan meet.Remove the lock and drill a 1/16" dia hole into the new part this is your touch hole. Back in those days the mountain rifle had a set trigger but the Kentucky didn't we could not use the set triggers but we could hunt with it and use the single trigger. Keep in mind that drum will probably need to be heated and PB blaster used to remove. They can be tough and I don't know if you can get a replacement if you ruin it. The older and more the gun has been shot the more difficult it will be to remove. I also removed my touch hole every time I cleaned it and oiled it. I could switch back and forth between flint and percussion depending on the season.I used it mostly as a flinter. Group was about the same for both but with the flint it shot about 4" lower at 25 yards. Good Luck you make the call if its worth it.

Cuttohalfinch.jpg

slotteddrillcenter.jpg

Then get a lock that'll fit.
There have been several that have done it. But I'm with ebiggs, just sell it and get a flinter.
Considering they don't make them any more trashing one to do the modification is a shame. :shake:

Thanks for all the advise & suggestions guys. I have two .32 squirrel rifles, one is cherry the other is well...a little rough but serviceable. Maybe I'll just keep an eye out for a .32 or .36 flinter instead.

I wonder if it would be more economical to try to build one from scratch vs. buying one?

I converted a CVA Kentucky to flint. I just bought a new CVA replacement lock in flint and removed the drum. I couldn't find a vent liner that matched the threads back then, internet was rarely heard of back then. I just got a metric bolt like shown here and cut it off and made a vent liner out of it.
I also might want to add that back then I was fairly new to ML and din't know there was a big difference in the quality of locks in flint. Mine dropped right in which was nice but it isn't the best lock. It did fire and shoot ok though but I don't shoot it any more.

Back