• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

considering a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howie said:
ive been thinking of a flintlock for a while now, I was on deercreek website and found they have a lh st louis hawken flintlock for under 300.00 https://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/p727/CVA_St._Louis_Hawken_LH_Rifle.html
I'm considering this the price is right or would yall buy a TC or another manufacture gun rather than the CVA?
A person needs to buy what ever they like but since you ask, to me a half stock flintlock just doesn't look right, a full stock flintlock rifle or trade gun, now that's the cat's meow. And remember a good lock is the key to a enjoying a flintlock rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should you be dead set on a half stock short barreled arm the US rifle, Harpers Ferry rifle, is a good bet. And it’s easy on the eyes. IMHO most military guns are pretty ugly. The few exceptions for me are the Bess and the 1717 Charlie’s. The HF however I find just a fine looking gun.
My opinion and $5 can get me a coffee flavored drink at Starbucks.

Rifleman1776 said:
Shipped with that kind of care just shouts "QUALITY" for the product inside. Anxious to see the finished rifle and your report on building it.

If anybody is interested I will post progress photos, though some members who are more skilled will probably be assembling they're kits soon. other than the fancy maple, mine will be pretty simple. i'd like to engrave the brass down the road when I get competent with a graver

I sincerely hope that the interest in Kibler’s offerings bring more people into flintlocks and even hopefully more participants into this wonderful world of black powder muzzleloaders ... but let’s not kid ourselves ... these are not really ”˜kits’.

To me they are essentially ”˜models’, like ready to make ”˜snap together’ build or an ”˜in the white’ longrifle build just taken apart to its barest pieces ... much closer to Legos in build, than like making a Revel plastic model kit or a Guillows balsa wood model kit, where you need some semblance of skill, if not artistry.

Flame away ... if that’s your personality ... but that’s my $0.02 ...

For the record, if he made one left-handed, I’d be lining up to buy one of his Colonial Rifle models for sure!

Flint62Smoothie said:
I sincerely hope that the interest in Kibler’s offerings bring more people into flintlocks and even hopefully more participants into this wonderful world of black powder muzzleloaders ... but let’s not kid ourselves ... these are not really ”˜kits’.

To me they are essentially ”˜models’, like ready to make ”˜snap together’ build or an ”˜in the white’ longrifle build just taken apart to its barest pieces ... much closer to Legos in build, than like making a Revel plastic model kit or a Guillows balsa wood model kit, where you need some semblance of skill, if not artistry.

Flame away ... if that’s your personality ... but that’s my $0.02 ...

For the record, if he made one left-handed, I’d be lining up to buy one of his Colonial Rifle models for sure!

I agree, the sole reason I built my TVM southern was because its not a pattern I would care if I made mistakes on it. I wanted to get some experience before tackling a Pre AWI rifle or fowler. once I saw Kibler working on the colonial kits I couldn't turn one down.

+1 on the lefty I called months ago asking about a lefty and no joy. Hope this changes

flintsmoothy, m a lefty I shoot all my right hnded percussions as a lefty, how much different would it be shooting a right handed flinter left handed. found a Jaeger rifle in 62 with ive taking a liking to

Howie said:
flintsmoothy, m a lefty I shoot all my right hnded percussions as a lefty, how much different would it be shooting a right handed flinter left handed. found a Jaeger rifle in 62 with ive taking a liking to
I have many RH flint rifles & smoothbores and have ZERO problems. Now, #1 I wear Rx eyeglasses so I always have eye protection on, but I have never, ever noticed anything (towards my eyes) whilst shooting my matchlocks (all RH’d) and flintlocks (mix of LH and RH firelocks).

#2, and most important ... I have NEVER even noticed any flash going off in front of my eyes, never. You know why? Because all of my focus is on the front sight ... where your focus should be too.

I put together a Kibler mountain rifle kit, the fact that the stock was so perfectly shaped insured a correct rifle.

My kit might have been one of the early ones as I bought it second hand but it wasn't a snap together and shoot kit. Every inlet was cut just a little undersized, the buttplate cutout wasn't very close and took some serious inletting to get a proper fit. The lock inlet was positioned perfectly but needed wood removed to seat the lock. The lock internal inlet was almost perfect, the triggers were close but still needed the inlet enlarged. The ramrod drill had turned up just about into the trigger guard inlet so I had to take the center out of the inlet and scrape off wood in the ramrod hole toward the barrel channel to get the ramrod all the way into the hole. I had to file the trigger guard front extension much thinner to keep it out of the ramrod channel, I couldn't go any deeper with the inlet.

I did replace the snaky ramrod blank that came with the kit with a straight one without run-out that was slightly larger, this probably caused the need for my ramrod hole to be adjusted.

All in all it was a very easy build but there were the normal problem solving issues along the way that go with any build. Having done a couple of scratch builds I didn't run into anything I didn't know how to fix easily.

I added decorative moldings, a toe plate and did little stock shaping, I probably worked on the rifle a total of a week.

Latest posts

Back