• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

conicals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a lee mold for a 200 grain 45 cal. conical (452 200 RF) with a wide flat nose. The bottom driving band will not enter the cylinder. I have decided to chuck it in my drill press and trim the driving band down to the shank so that I can seat it in the cylinder. I tried swaging down, but it didn't come out so good. What do you do to fit oversize conicals in your 44. mine is a Uberti 1858.

It sounds like you didn't apply enough "omph" or pressure to the loading lever or rammer. If the bullets were made from a fairly soft lead they should seat with just a little more pressure applied. Some one correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't ever used conicals.

Take a look at "Powder Inc.", they have some really nice cylinder loaders that will take care of your problem and makes loading a revolver much easier.

What do you do to fit oversize conicals in your 44. mine is a Uberti 1858.
We don't.
Your best bet is to buy a Lee mold that casts for the pistol.
The one you have is made for 45 ACP and 45 long colt cartridge guns.
There is no standard procedure given the cost of sizing dies, or loading press, vr. cost of mold to modify a non-conforming bullet for use in a traditional replica model that makes sense.
Or, just chuck'm up in that drill press and file away,,, ✌️

Last edited:
I bought a lee mold for a 200 grain 45 cal. conical (452 200 RF) with a wide flat nose. The bottom driving band will not enter the cylinder. I have decided to chuck it in my drill press and trim the driving band down to the shank so that I can seat it in the cylinder. I tried swaging down, but it didn't come out so good. What do you do to fit oversize conicals in your 44. mine is a Uberti 1858.
I have that mold. I've cast tons of 45 ACP bullets for it. You might get it to work in a CNB, be sure your using soft lead.
This is a centerfire mold, is it yours?

Screenshot_20230202-043419_Chrome.jpg

Seating an oversize bullet is not the same as an oversize round ball. The ball has only that thin band around the circumference that gets swaged down. A bullet has a much larger bearing surface due to the driving bands that have to be squeezed into the chamber. Even if the bullet is pure lead, you will be putting a lot of pressure on the loading lever. I have actually seen people bend loading levers--believe it or not, even one Ruger Old Army!--and a Remington that ended up with its frame bent.
Much easier to use bullets with a rebated heel that were designed for these guns. There are several companies that offer suitable molds.

I don't even use the loading lever very much on roundballs. I let the loading press handle the "heavy" stuff.

We don't.
Your best bet is to buy a Lee mold that casts for the pistol.
The one you have is made for 45 ACP and 45 long colt cartridge guns.
There is no standard procedure given the cost of sizing dies, or loading press, vr. cost of mold to modify a non-conforming bullet for use in a traditional replica model that makes sense.
Or, just chuck'm up in that drill press and file away,,, ✌️
I like the wide flat nose configuration for delivering maximum shock. I intend to try it on deer. If I weren't on a fixed income I'd order a custom mold. I picked this one up on fleabay.

Ok,, then just chuck'm up in the drill press and file away. Load'm up with a max charge an go get them deer.
I have no doubt you'll come back and tell us how successful it was.

Starting in the 1970's I've been sizing down the backsides of soft castings to slip into the chambers.
Started out with a Navy Arms 1861 (0.373" diameter chambers) and a Lee 9mm round nose mold opened up with a 3/8" drill bit. Rolled a bevel on the rear ends of the slugs to make them slip in and then shear on the front. Accuracy is great (still have my 1861) and it really rings the steel. Nowadays I still enjoy experimenting with different ideas, mold designs and various calibers.

How about a size/lubing die bullet nose down ?

Back