• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I have almost a full can of 4f. Can you use this in an 1858 under a ball as well as a 200 grain Lee conical?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used 4f in my Remington 44 - enough so I could just seat the ball flush - no problem. Whether it was accurate, I don't know. I'm not very accurate anyway.

Properly loaded 4 f is a great pistol powder. Often used in shorter barrels. If that is all you can get : use it -but no matter the grade of fineness, more powder does not equal a better load. Often a lighter load is the accurate load.

Yes, use it. 4f, even Swiss, is not as hot as 777, and I use that in revolvers frequently. Accuracy will be the determining factor. I prefer round balls, except when deer hunting, but I would have no safety concerns using 4f under a conical. Any charge you can load, your gun will safely handle it, assuming proper loading procedure, gun condition, etc.

Just saw this post. What if the ball doesn’t seat on the powder. Is it one of those things some call a “no no”? Filler, wad? I’ve used it in 45 ACP for my conversion. Full case where a .452 .230 gr bullet seats on the powder. Because I was given a bunch of primed brass and don’t have a pistol in 45 ACP. The cylinder was cheaper. If I download 45 Colt with 4F, do I need a filler or wad? I could do my own experimentation but I thought I’d see if anyone done it.

Tried ffffg many years ago in revolvers. Accuracy for me was poor. I have used fffg ever since.

I bought a flintlock pistol and was given a full pound of it. I use 3f in the pistol and in the pan. I'll never use all this 4f unless I use it in something else.

Latest posts

Back