• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

conical shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used hornady GP and buffalo bullets.

What has worked for me while hunting is to adjust the thickness of the lube to the temperature outside. Thicker when it's warm and thinner when it is cold. This seems to hold things in place pretty well but I still will check the load hunting once in a while, particularly if I happen to take a spill.

Concern for the conical coming off of the charge is why I've only tried the Lee REAL. But I'd try a paper patched bullet too. Not sure of anything else that sits tight.

I'd be concerned that the nose of a minie would get damaged if you were to press/tap hard enough to flair the skirt.

rodwha said:
Concern for the conical coming off of the charge is why I've only tried the Lee REAL. But I'd try a paper patched bullet too. Not sure of anything else that sits tight.

I'd be concerned that the nose of a minie would get damaged if you were to press/tap hard enough to flair the skirt.

You can try a thin strip of cloth patch across the muzzle when you start the REAL. Like maybe a 3/16" to 1/4" wide. Only just enough to provide an interference fit and thin as will work.

The ramrod for the Enfield has a large concave tip that is very close to the shape of a minie's ogive. So it doesn't flatten the nose with a couple light taps. I've pulled one with the "snail" attachment and one with the chisel/screw attachments. Both were in good shape. I even reused the one I pulled with the snail. The skirt on the traditional 505gr minie is relatively thin at the bottom. You can easily deform it with your fingers. A charge much heavier than the 70gr (2 1/2 dram) military charge can blow off the skirt as it exits the muzzle. However with 2F it still achieves roughly 1050fps and that's a lot of energy. Militarily speaking, anybody that got hit with a 505gr at 1050fps was in for a bad day, no matter where it hit you.

Bad day indeed.
The minie is a killer. Those big flat noses on the Lee molds look about like revolver hunting bullets... on steroids.

Idaho Ron said:
Some of us shoot game that is bigger than a rabbit. Most white tails I see shot back east are smaller then some dogs. If I were shooting the deer you guys shoot I guess I would use something that packs no whomp. :rotf:

I can also see where you guys that are recoil shy need a load that has much less power and recoil. :idunno:

I will continue to shoot a load that packs a whomp and won't come off the charge. Paper Patch does that. :blah:

I hunt in Montana we have big critters here too. "Whomp" is greatly overrated. Penetration is more important and it only needs to be "adequate". I have shot quite a number of various Montana game with about any projectile one can think up, no bullets from MLs, however. I even shot a Mule Deer in the neck with a handloaded mil-surp "pulled" incendiary from a 30-40 1895 Carbine. It it "lit up" when it hit the bone. Lead bullets in almost any shape and alloy from every almost any Sharps caliber, some smaller stuff and a 450 BPE Irish double rifle, this experience covers about any bullet shot from a modern ML. Round balls from 45 to .662, quite a number actually. Based on my experience as a hunting guide I can assure you that "whomp" is ALWAYS, ALWAYS trumped by shot placement. I have never had a RB fail to penetrate to the vitals IF PLACED RIGHT, and I don't shoot critter in the a$$ with a ML. If the critter turns when the shot is broke the shot can go astray and this can happen due to various problems with the shooter, light, position etc etc. But in most cases the bullet used is not going to be "magic" in solving a problem with bad shot. A 500 GR RN lead fired from a Ruger #1 with smokeless in the WRONG PLACE is far less effective than a 45 round ball launched at 1300-1400 fps that lands in the RIGHT PLACE.
Now if one insists on shooting a bullet from a ML your PP idea is a good one it DOES solve the bullet movement issue. But it does not solve the pressure issue. Nor does it address the rifling twist issue or people using "store bought" bullets that sometimes leave a great deal to be desired. If people must use a bullet in a ML, as you know, it must be a good design and the rifling twist needs to be faster than 48" to give the bullet some stability as it strikes the animal. 30" or less is better. Couple a marginal nose shape with a marginal twist and a perfectly placed shot may end up wounding the animal. I have even experienced this with some modern HV 45-70 factory ammo. One "prefect shot" need a follow up when the deer got back up and ran and the other, also striking perfectly at point of aim on a broadside buck deflected, missed the heart/arteries it was aimed at and blew up the one of the stomachs when is turned 45 degrees. This is ENTIRELY the result of a pointed, plastic tipped bullet. I have never had this occur with a FP cast bullet OR a round ball.
Then we have barrel steels. Most "custom" ML barrels in the US are deficient in this. So I would recommend a factory made or Italian import with Italian proofs. Both internal and external breech design is important. Internal to deal with the much higher pressure and external to deal with cap fragments and escaping gas. This is a good breech design from Track of The Wolf's site.
AAP-288

Few modern factory guns have good breeches, most have the same too high nipple location seen on many low end 19th c guns and even most military percussion arms of the percussion era. But the Military percussion used a very heavy hammer and springs and low pressure loads. The US military load for the Minie was 1000 fps or a little less, for example.
Now if people wants to shoot bullets from MLs then go for it. But educate yourself. Some bullets out there, like the original TC "Maxi-Ball" was a dismal game bullet from all accounts. Some I know hunting Moose in Canada abandoned it since the RB of the same caliber was better and the round ball of similar weight was far superior. Killing faster and doing so on far less pressure.
What I do disagree with is telling people that they are shooting much smaller deer than you do and somehow this makes there experiences irrelevant. There are a LOT of big deer in the east. Then we have Sir William Drummond Stewart stating that deer shot with his 20 bore Manton in the 1830s would invariably run off while the much larger Elk went down right away. You also have to remember that long before the modern ML bullet craze took off people all over the US and Canada, in modern times, were killing animals, large and small, with PRBs. In fact to get the ML seasons in some cases they had to go to their State's Game department and PROVE the RB loads would work. But most people shooting MLs today don't remember this.
I shoot a traditional FL if I hunt with a ML (which aging eyes have pretty well precluded now). This alone precludes me from shooting a bullet.
If I feel the need to shoot a bullet I use a brass suppository gun. I have shot or seen shot a LOT of animals, deer, black bear, elk, moose, antelope. I have seen all of them killed cleanly with all the different bullets I have used some in really marginal BPCR calibers by modern standards. Sometimes critters don't want to die even when shot with more than adequate loads/cartridges, modern or otherwise with decent shot placement. How about round balls from ML pistols? I know for example that a 50 cal Rb at less than 800 fps from a short barreled FL pistol will shoot though a Mule Deer Buck's chest at an angel from front shoulder muscles to far side diaphragm. This is about the same velocity that a 50 cal RB rifle will produce at 200 yards. So penetration is not an issue. Most RBs at typical ML ranges will give 30" of penetration. BTW the FBI says that about 12" of penetration is ideal for shooting bad guys. If 30" does not kill the critter then you likely shot the critter in the wrong spot. If penetration is REALLY a worry, shoot hardened round balls. All the old African and Asian big game hunters did.
I would also point out that "recoil shy" is silly as well. Some people don't like recoil, some have physical reasons. Shooting a 1903 Springfield from prone puts my neck "out" for example. But recoil, in general, reduces potential accuracy. Look at the rifles, usually in a short 6mm wildcat cartridge, that the long range (1000 yard) bench rest shooter shoot. They start at about 16 pounds. Why? The extra mass = less firearms movement and smaller groups.
My 45-100 weights 15 pounds and will throw a bullet out by FEET at 400 yards when shooting off x sticks if I don't get behind the rifle properly and it recoils a little "funny". 530 gr at 1370 fps has a lot of barrel time and the gun moves before the bullet clears the muzzle.
You wanna shoot bullets, go for it, but quit making fun of people and the animals they shoot (they have Elk seasons in some states in the East now you know) just because you think you have all the answers. Bullets are not magic, animals are not bullet proof. The shooter is the most critical part of the equation.
When I was guiding I HATED having hunters showing up with some magnum. Much rather it be someone with a well used 270 or 30-06 they actually knew how to use. Most hunters were intimidated by the magnum be it a 300 or a 340 or whatever. Some could barely hit the hill the animal was standing on. So recoil IS a factor.

Dan

Mooman76 said:
Another thing I have heard works is to put the bullet or conical between two identical files and run it back and forth causing a knurling effect. This will increase it's size hopefully enough it won't move of the charge.
Once its sized to the bore by loading its no different than any "naked" bullet. It needs to be patched with something that provides some compression and grips the bore a little.
There were reasons why these never caught on back in the day for hunting. They were known by the 1830s-40s, but they had problems that people did not like for use off the target ranges. AS a result most game shot in America and even world wide before the breechloader became common was shot with the RB. Either pure lead or hardened from squirrels to elephant. But man insists on reinventing things and often having to relearn the lessons of the past. And apparently nobody reads the writings of people who hunted in the past.
Too many people have believed the BS promoted by gun writers when the modern ML conical came on the market and people with little or no experience started to write articles (think advertisements) for the things to keep magazine advertisers happy.

Dan

I hunt with PRb's and conicals..Just depends on what I want to shoot that day..Ive never had a problem with a conical coming off the charge, that's about 20+ years of ML hunt'n and shoot'n..Now some guns I don't dount it happens. Take for instance Ive had a lyman maxi mold drop bullets at .503 were a TC mold dropped them at .508..Just because a barrel says .50 dosnt mean its the same as another .50..Ive seen a CVA that was .506 between the lands and a TC that was .512 between. If you have a undersized conical and a slightly oversized bore then yea its gonna happen..Same reason a .510 plains bullet has to be hammered down a tight bore..Sometimes you need to match your bullet to the bore...I have a cheap CVA bobcat that will shoot TC maxi balls (.508 cast from soft lead) under an inch @50 yards..Every gun is different..I tend to shoot what ever load is most accurate in a givin gun..That bobcat wont shoot PRB near as well as it will a maxi ball but my beloved renegade will make a cast .530 ball cut ragged holes @50 yards but slightly opens up with a maxi..

Was really looking forwarding to deer hunting with the forty cal GPR but Indiana has a .45 minimum reg.
Oh well! Reckon little Sheba will have to just be a yote gun.

It's an aftermarket barrel. I have a Green Mountain .40 on my GPR.

shifty said:
Are you talking about a Lyman GPR in 40 cal.

It's a 16" twist x .005 groove depth barrel made by Ed Rayl in West Virginia. From the barrel blank was made a die to engrave rifling on bullets to minimize the expansion needed to seal off the bore and prevent gas cutting, pretty much the same technique as used with the hexagonal bored Whitworth rifles. That lets you shoot heavy mechanically fitted bullets and bore size lubed lead bullets for target work, medium weight paper patched bullets for anything you're really mad at

and tightly patched round ball for small game out to 30-40 yards.

Too bad Indiana has regulations written around the unmentionables not discussed here and has a .45 minimum caliber for muzzleloaders, though not for the bullet diameter. Otherwise I would use the GPR for hunting deer.
In retrospect, without regard to deer hunting, the .40 could be improved for my purposes with a little slower twist. One turn in 28" would be plenty quick, load easier and clean up easier, and I suspect not be so picky in load development with bullets that don't look like pencils.
Could actually go even slower. The work ups I did years ago with a set of GM barrels 28" and a 38" in length showed me that though I could not obtain consistent results with lubed lead or paper patched in the 48" twist, it was right there on the cusp of being workable. I'd have the Eureka moment... and then flyers!
:redface:

So, I've kept the one GM 28" long barrel just for round ball. And I've given thought to having the 16" twist barrel rebored to .42 to paper patch with all those off the shelf .41 revolver molds. Maybe some day. For now I want to reach out and see how well yotes stand up to that medium weight 250 grainer.
Maybe some day the GPR will get rebored to a medium twist .48 so it will be Indiana legal and I can shoot round ball and paper patch the .476 revolver molds. Maybe some day.
But the last thing I'm going to do with muzzleloading is be in a hurry.
:wink:

Grahm said:
I hunt with PRb's and conicals..Just depends on what I want to shoot that day..Ive never had a problem with a conical coming off the charge, that's about 20+ years of ML hunt'n and shoot'n..Now some guns I don't dount it happens. Take for instance Ive had a lyman maxi mold drop bullets at .503 were a TC mold dropped them at .508..Just because a barrel says .50 dosnt mean its the same as another .50..Ive seen a CVA that was .506 between the lands and a TC that was .512 between. If you have a undersized conical and a slightly oversized bore then yea its gonna happen..Same reason a .510 plains bullet has to be hammered down a tight bore..Sometimes you need to match your bullet to the bore...I have a cheap CVA bobcat that will shoot TC maxi balls (.508 cast from soft lead) under an inch @50 yards..Every gun is different..I tend to shoot what ever load is most accurate in a givin gun..That bobcat wont shoot PRB near as well as it will a maxi ball but my beloved renegade will make a cast .530 ball cut ragged holes @50 yards but slightly opens up with a maxi..

How many times have you checked the position of the bullet over the 20+ years? If I shot what was most accurate as a hunting load I would have to wipe between every shot, damp patch twice, dey patch twice then load. But leaving the bore even a little damp with some fouling present is dangerous so I tallow or Neatsfoot for hunting. Allows easy reloads but is marginally less accurate but the bore is protected. The difference can be small but when shooting a traditional string measure match its important. Shooting a load that will shoot 1" at 60 yards vs 1/2 inch is important. In a 10 shot match in good conditions the winning strings will run 2" to 4" this is .2 to .4" average deviation from center. For hunting game larger than rabbits its pretty much irrelevant. Most people don't take the time to learn what shoots best. I own two barrels that the maker, who tested them before they were shipped, says will shoot into the same hole at 100. He uses a ML percussion action that he screws into the breech and used a a scope for sighting. If they don't pass he sets them back to be recut to a larger caliber. Accuracy in hunting is not a great issue are ML distances.
The OTHER thing is maximum range. I have never been able to understand the laws that require a shotgun and slug do to concerns over the extreme range of rifle bullets dropping bullets into inhabitied areas a mile away, but then will allow ML bullets with 2-3 times the maximum range of a Forster slug. F I often wonder if the various game departments have bothered to look into this

The OTHER thing is maximum range. I have never been able to understand the laws that require a shotgun and slug do to concerns over the extreme range of rifle bullets dropping bullets into inhabitied areas a mile away, but then will allow ML bullets with 2-3 times the maximum range of a Forster slug. F I often wonder if the various game departments have bothered to look into this.

Who can speak for the mindset of bureaucrats? I used to hunt woodchuck with a .270 WIN in THE SAME fields and hedgerows that I could only use shotgun slugs in during the deer season. I went to a .54 cal muzzleloader years ago during the "shotgun" season, as allowed by our game laws, because I was more accurate and had longer useful range - even with the round ball.

In all honesty plenty of times because I was told the same thing then.Like I said I still don't doubt that it happens and I heard the same thing and was always sure to check it..After a while admittedly I mostly stopped with bullets I cast myself because I knew they worked right...That and I always made sure to use the correct mold to the gun. I did find that not every bullet fits every gun right. I just like to tinker and play with different loads..Ive found two of my guns really shoot conicals well, better or at the least equal to PRB's..Though my renegade is a special gun, it is just smazingly accurate..Its a .54, I shoot PRB's over 90gr of FFG goex with a .015 patch lubed with a beeswax/olive oil lube..I don't get into the whole PRB vs conical thing, I only shoot different things because Im a tinker..I could deer hunt with a .45 prb and be just happy..In fact whenever I find a .45 barrel for my Cherokee Ill for sure be deer hunt'n with it..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never been able to understand the laws that require a shotgun and slug do to concerns over the extreme range of rifle bullets dropping bullets into inhabitied areas a mile away, but then will allow ML bullets with 2-3 times the maximum range of a Forster slug.

It's called "passive gun control"
Rifles to shotguns to muzzleloaders to crossbows.
you can't hammer a sword into a plow share with a single blow.
It is a linear progression of calculated control that creates economic opportunities for manufactures along the way...
If we carefully analyze all gun related laws, we can see that gun control has no party lines. while one party attacks head on the other flanks and attacks from the rear. This creates avenues of opportunity for manufacturers...just follow the money, all sides are making money, Pro-gun, anti-gun, pro and anti hunting, manufactures etc....The economic benefits of legislation is easily calculable and is usually the sole motivator to legislators.

Dan Phariss said:
I have never been able to understand the laws that require a shotgun and slug do to concerns over the extreme range of rifle bullets dropping bullets into inhabitied areas a mile away, but then will allow ML bullets with 2-3 times the maximum range of a Forster slug. F I often wonder if the various game departments have bothered to look into this

That has never fit my head very well either. I used to live in Indiana where rifles are not allowed for hunting deer just for the reason that you stated. It never made sense to me because you could hunt varmints with a rifle but not deer. One day you could sit in your stand or blind and hunt varmints with your rifle but come deer season, you could not hunt deer from that same stand or blind with a rifle. It was deemed too dangerous. :doh: Never made a damned bit of sense to me. :youcrazy: But, for some strange reason, they never asked for my opinion. :idunno: Go figure.

Back