• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conical bullets in a cap and ball revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the many .43 diameter revolver molds running around loose in the world these days that could make a jimdandy caliber for an 1858.

My head scratch as well and then there is the seriously dangerous side of chain fire.

I concluded that a .451" RB which I also cast from a Lee mould + a felt OP wad was the better and more accurate choice.

Having shifted the ROA from .457 to .454 and got a clear increase in accuracy, the .451 is the next test to be tried in all the BP revolvers.

A good note is that we can cross talk about the subject as some use it for hunting and some targets shoot and some do both.

I only target shoot so the best accuracy I can get is my goal. I want to be able to shoot at the traditional pistol accuracy test range of 25 yards and hit the target and not the frame of the target.

I can adjust POA to achiever POI no problem but staying on the target is my goal and I would like to see something in the sub 5 inch group area at 25 yards.

The JDs I bought are 227 gr but not all that relevant. Balls in the .452 area are going to be pretty close, but Concials, TC or ? can and will vary a fair amount depending on the design.

Penetration level? Hmmm. A deer is not all that big. It might have some relevancy on a brown bear (have to re-read Lewis and Clarke but I recall at least one encounter with a Griz that took a whole lot of shooting to put down)

Then there is over penetration. Wasted energy if it does.

Latest posts

Back