• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Comparison of 17th Century Pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
10202012guncomparisonsnaphaunceEnglishlock.jpg

I recently had a chance to compare two 17th Century replica pistols.

One is a Middlesex Village English Doglock pistol, which cost $250 to buy and was delivered to the buyer in two weeks.

The other is a Rifle Shoppe snaphaunce pistol assembled by White Muzzleloading. It cost about $900 and was delivered to the buyer in one year.

Here's how I did the testing: 15 yards, 50 grains FFG, with ball and shot, offhand.

The Middlesex gun has no sights at all. It broke a sear spring on the fifth shot so that I had to turn the pistol sideways to get the lateral sear to engage. But it works.

The White Muzzleloading gun has to have the trigger pulled to pull back the cock, which is a bit disconcerting. But with the hammer...the snaphaunce version of the frizzen...in the forward position, it's safe.

083110shooting15yards10shots40grnsFFFG600ball02patchnowad.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the final target from the Middlesex gun. The small holes on the edges of the target are from the single load of 6 00 buck I fired. I also fired eight shots of .600 ball.

10202012gunandtargetEnglishlock.jpg

Here's the final target from the snaphaunce. 100 shots were fired throughout the testing process. The buck impacts are much closer together with this pistol. In both of these final targets 8 ball rounds were also fired. This pistol fired a .570 ball.

Thoughts? Comments?

10202012snaphaunceandtarget.jpg

Fascinating! Thanks for taking the time to shoot and post. Despite the broken spring, I am surprised at how well the Middlesex gun performed for you. What is your overall opinion of the lock on it, and the hardness of the frizzen?

The lack of drop on the handle seems like it would make it difficult to hold and aim, yet you piled the ball on top of each other with your White. How did it feel to shoot and did you have to make any changed in how you aimed and fired?

Many Klatch

Back