• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt Root 1855

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I just saw on Gun Broker a "Colt Root 1855" by Palmetto Arms.
I've seen originals, but I have never seen a repro!
That has to be relatively rare as reproduction.
Are they any good?
Are they new?
Neat little revolver!
Was the Colt revolving rifle similar to this revolver?
If so, it would make a great pair.

Old Ford

I hate to say it but Palmetto Arms has a reputation for very poorly made guns.
(That didn't seem as bad to say as I though it would be. )

They have made some flintlocks that the pan doesn't close on, some that still have tool marks on the exterior surfaces and in general are rather crappy.

What makes me even a little more leery of the gun you mentioned is the Colt Root 1855 had a rather poor reputation when it was made by Colt. I'm almost afraid to guess what a Palmetto Arms gun would turn out to be.

Dixie has offered this gun for several years and their web site usually has comments that are written by the folks who have bought their guns.
Before investing any money in this I strongly suggest that you go to the Dixie site and poke PH0912 into their search engine.
That should bring up the gun you mentioned and hopefully it will have some buyers comments about it.

As for the Revolving rifle, yes it was somewhat similar. Both were designed by Root so they both had similar features.

As for the Colt Root revolving rifles, about the only people who thought they were really neat was Col. Colt and Mr. Root.
Although they were used in the Seminole War by some troops they tended to through lead slivers and flames from the gap between the cylinder and the barrel which wasn't liked by the men.
They also sometimes Chain Fired which could ruin a mans day in a hurry if his hand was forward of the cylinder.

I'm with Zonie. I'd avoid Palmetto at all costs. Too many issues with soft metal parts, poor fit, bad springs, etc. It's a shame too, because they've made a gun or two that I'd like to have. I don't see how they can stay in the market, if they're still in business.

Now what you can do is by the remington revolving rifle (same issue with chain fires-call me 6 fingers) But 1 added advantage is you can get a conversion cylinder for .45 colt. Gee now you have a 6 shot revolving cartride rifle (seen one in a Roy Rogers movie once that way). I have been tempted a couple of times to get the Root but the manuf. kinda scares me away.

I picked one up on Gunbroker for about $150 under the Dixie price. I started doing a "Gold Rush traveling gun salesman" at a few events, and bought the pistol for a interpretive piece.

For me, it was a great buy. It is a pretty gun, and looks good in the case. It will stay that way, because I will rarely if ever , shoot it.

Feels nice in the hand, but not when you try to cock it. The ergonomics are all wrong for that. The instructions are horrible, and a Root is difficult at best to disassemble. It would have been nice if the spanner wrench was included, but it is not.

Honestly...I would rather have the rifle. They are a kick to shoot. Then again, the ones I got to shoot were originals! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back