• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

colorado permit time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Moore

40 Cal.
Reaction score
For those of us in Colorado or close to it, the deadline for applications is coming up soon. Dont' forget to put in for them!
mike.

You have to be in by April 4th this year for a muzzleloading license in Colorado. I'm going with a couple of friends and we all shoot 54 Hawken. I have a TC and a Cabelas. My buddies the same. I'm shootin' round ball, they're shootin' shabots. Good Luck.

Ole said:
You have to be in by April 4th this year for a muzzleloading license in Colorado. I'm going with a couple of friends and we all shoot 54 Hawken. I have a TC and a Cabelas. My buddies the same. I'm shootin' round ball, they're shootin' shabots. Good Luck.

Remember, sabots are not legal in CO during the special muzzleloader season.

Ive been waiting on my cousin to come over,we always apply together,but he aint showed up yet.I guess Im on my own this year.

Get er done april 4th is the dead line.
Hay all ya local boys livin' here in Co, where do you guys hunt, Not your honey hole or nothin' just general vicinaty,
I guide and hunt in unit 55 here in Gunnison.
I should draw a buck tag this year. I got thumper I've been watchin'
Last one was four years ago bow season. 7x7 32 inches wide.

Remember, sabots are not legal in CO during the special muzzleloader season.[/quote]

BFD,I wish inlines wern't eather,
no offence but....
They kinda took the " primitive " out of muzzleloading here in CO :cursing:

I'll be in unit 73 for ML deer this year.I have a preference point so I should get the tag.The baby is due Sep.28 so I'm hunting elk 4th season in units 71 72 73 711.

Thats great, and good luck on both accounts.
Oh ya sorry if I was a little harsh about sabots and inlines. I know that not everybody has the time or the teachers to learn primitive muzzleloading

Greenmtnboy - I mainly hunt area 20 and north to the Wyoming border depending on which area(s) my tag is for. Been huntin' those area's long before they were draw units. Heck, back in the day...go down buy a tag and head out. Years ago I also hunted over by Steamboat and Craig.
Good to hear about you spottin' Ol' Thumper. Good bucks seem to be on the decline. I don't know the facts or numbers but just from what I'm seeing (or not seeing). Don't know if Chronic Wasting Disease is impacting them that bad or not but it seems big bucks in Northern Colorado are a thing of the past.
At elk camp last year around the fire we were talking about the decline it seems in good size deer. Glad to hear you got one spotted. That's a big part of it.

-Turtle2-

Hey guys are there areas where you dont need to put in for a drawing for elk and mule deer ? Back in 85 we had just picked up lic over the counter

Yeah there are but not sure of the top of my head what areas. I believe there are still some areas on the west side of the divide that you don't have to draw for.
Best place to check would be the Colorado Division of Wildlife.

-Turtle2-

Turtle2 said:
Yeah there are but not sure of the top of my head what areas. I believe there are still some areas on the west side of the divide that you don't have to draw for.

-Turtle2-

Muzzleloading is draw only. :(
Both deer and elk.

BS said:
Turtle2 said:

-Turtle2-

Muzzleloading is draw only. :(
Both deer and elk.

yup muzzleloader season is draw only but if you are just meat hunting you can get a state wide permit for cow every year. That is what I do.
If you are set on a bull you prabably will draw on your second try.
To late to put in this year.
we do have over the counter rifle tags for elk.
deer is draw only for all seasons :hatsoff:

hay cronic wasting has got us all freeked out here in Gunny. No reported cases yet :bow:
but getting closer.
what is the percentage of infection in northern Co?
do you eat infected deer anyway?
I have read that transmition to humans is rare if the proper percautions are taken.
We tested all deer harvested here in Gunnison county last fall with zero infection.

Greenmtnboy -

Do you guide up on Blue Mesa? I knew some folks...Don and Glenda Smith out of Delta, CO who used to have some hunting cabins up there. They said hunting up on the blue was as close to heaven as you could get in CO. But that was 10 years ago.

The statewide cow tag, where is it good for? I thought you could only draw a tag for a specific GMU?

Best of luck out there! :thumbsup:

Back