• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colonial rifle build for authenticity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I was hoping cooler heads would prevail here. I have only been back here for a short time and have been "corrected" here also. I know that anyone can take exception to almost anything posted anywhere. I've come to the conclusion that if I can't take a bit of heat I probably shouldn't post. That said, you have a beautiful rifle that I would certainly be proud to own. I only wish I had the talent/patience/ tools to do a job like that. Stick around there are a lot of knowledgeable helpful folks on this forum and I have learned a lot just from reading here.
No sir I’m a disable vet and this hobby helped me a lot. Bye

No need to leave, there are some very fine builders on here, it's your rifle you built it and done a damn fine job. Who gives a rats A22 what others may think, sometimes you just gotta look at things differently? I personally like the plain type rifles of what we propose to be of the period working man or hunter, the more you use it the better it will age and patina delivering you with a representation of a good used gun, sure take care of it keep the brass polished and what not. In my opinion that's why only the fancy safe queens survived from long ago and not so many of the average guns of the time, they were all new at one time and used till they finally gave up the ghost. As stated sometimes guys in there building and endeavors forget we are all different and with different perspectives and have different skill levels. Like I said fine job, nice rifle and stick around, the hobby needs all the help it can get especially now of days. From one disabled vet to another. Thank you for your service.

Thank you, yes they had emery paper back then for polishing. Article from 1754 , and 1755 mentions it, along with other various compounds and materials for polishing. Paul Revere was quite the expert on it back then.
Oh I see now. Why doesnt the barrel and lock shine like chrome then if they werent browned like you said? Should look like a new Cadillac if you want to represent a 1770's gun right.
James

@Brianl1620 good job on your Kibler kit. I think some of the old hands here are just a little ornery because for the long time builders they just see this as a Kibler left plain. The ostentation of claiming that your rifle is authentic and like a new rifle in the 1760s has rubbed some the wrong way. I only make it through each day by remembering that everyone on all sides of any argument is wrong. Possibly it would have gone over better if you just said "Hey guys, I finished my Kibler Colonial and left is as if it would have been new 250 years ago."

We are a bunch of pretentious sods around here, so I am guessing you will fit right in.
Not so much. I think some of the old hands just displayed some rifles that represent 1760's era workmanship. Has nothing to do with any kit. I have seen some mighty fine kits put together. Not too many pretentious folk here. They get run off pretty quick like. There's alot to historical firearms. Its a life long study id imagine. Good job putting your kit together. Enjoy it and have fun. Build another.

If left in the white and polished with emery paper, brick dust or dried shark skin or worked with progressively finer files till smooth or whatever, the bright parts would and will develop a very nice patina with use almost appears as a brown very faintly on the metal. I personally like a gun with the metal unfinished or left bright for this very reason. Any way the new Cadillac's have very little chrome on them now of days. You can polish any type of metal until it shines like a new dime in a goats A22 but if you do not keep it continuously polished it will tarnish, Example is galvanized 50 gal. trash cans sitting in a Marine Corps squad bay. Been there done that.

No sir I’m a disable vet and this hobby helped me a lot. Bye
Do me a favor. Don't play the the disabled vet card because your feels got hurt. I have buddies that truly need help and would never set one foot inside a VA. I never talked to any other real vet that throws it around as a talking point. You lost it all with me right there brother. Good bye.

If left in the white and polished with emery paper, brick dust or dried shark skin or worked with progressively finer files till smooth or whatever, the bright parts would and will develop a very nice patina with use almost appears as a brown very faintly on the metal. I personally like a gun with the metal unfinished or left bright for this very reason. Any way the new Cadillac's have very little chrome on them now of days. You can polish any type of metal until it shines like a new dime in a goats A22 but if you do not keep it continuously polished it will tarnish, Example is galvanized 50 gal. trash cans sitting in a Marine Corps squad bay. Been there done that.
Looking for a reference to dried shark skin as a polishing compound in colonial American gunsmithing. Can you give one please? New to me. Would love to read about it though.
James

Along with scrapers and burnishers shark skin was used for finishing and polishing firearms . it was known as Shagreen , ray skin was used for sword grips .
I don't know if the American gunmakers had access to shagreen but the Brits did .
Hand rubbing also was / is used for fine gunstocks ,

I did and I use the V.A. never had a problem with them, if your buddies did perhaps, they should contact their DAV or congressional reps. to discuss the situation
I respectfully thank you for the advice. The thread is about colonial rifles. We can talk offline if youd like. Thanks for your service.
James

Back