• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colonial rifle build for authenticity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Brianl1620, I too implore you to remain on the forum. It can be a difficult path for us to comment when statements are made, or our efforts are exposed for evaluation. All too often what we think of as constructive criticism comes across as the quite harsh equivalent of your dog can't hunt and is ugly too. Please let us know that you are still on the Forum.

He hasn't been back since he said "Bye".

After years and years of research, and documentation on the American Colonial Rifle, And this is only for the builders who want their rifles to look the same as they did when purchased new back in 1760-1770. This is not for builders who try to replicate 100s of years of patina. #1 barrel and lock left in the white. Browning these parts didn’t come about till the beginning of the 19th century, although there is very rare instances where gunsmiths experimented in this new procedure but It didn’t become mainstream till beginning of 1800. Bluing was available but not as common as just in the white.
#2 Brass was bright and shiny. Brass was very expensive back then, and it was very well taken care of #1 by the gunsmith who wanted to show off their work, #2 the owners who wanted to protect their investment. Again this is not for the builder wanting 100s of years of patina on their rifle, but more for a builder wanting their rifle to look like it did when bought new in that time period.
Very nice! Yes, we tend to forget that things were once new, shiny, and bright.

Damn you guys, and the kibler colonial longrifles...I am just going to have to order one..I am torn between the .54 and .58. I have both calibers and love them both but for some reason I keep giving my .54 extra love because it shoots so sweet....ugggggggg decision lol
I was at the Dixon Gun Fair couple years back and Kibler was there with a stack of his kits in the boxes. You could just look at the end label and see caliber, wood, etc. I know I've e-mailed him to encourage his making a Pistol kit! The guy's a real technician, real genius, working with computerized machinery to make a 200 year old product!

Like my beloved drill Sgt. of yesteryear said as i cursed and swore doing slow pushups in the wastelands of S.C. under the weight of a 90 lb pack, a 10 lb M-1 rifle in 110 degree heat, “Ed, we don’t do this because we enjoy causing you pain. We care about you and want you to survive this conflict and go back home one day. We are building a unit, a team man”. The next day my rifle squad assaulted a hill per instructions with rubber projectiles. One squad member was a “lets get/em guy” and charged out disregarding his team. He got shot by his team and we had to stop shooting. Subsequently, we were counted as wounded or dead. Real life lesson!

Latest posts

Back