• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colonial New Jersey gun builders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric M

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am trying to research any gun builders that may have been around the New Jersey area during the colonial period. Anyone that may have information where I can get some information I would appreciate it.

aherns book muskets of the revolution and grinslades flintlock fowlers would be good starts

Memphis1211 said:
I am trying to research any gun builders that may have been around the New Jersey area during the colonial period. Anyone that may have information where I can get some information I would appreciate it.

I looked thru all 94 pages of listings of gunsmiths in "Early American Gunsmiths 1650-1850" by Henry J. Kauffman (which is not a complete listing - if such a thing even exists) and found only two gunsmiths in New Jersey. The only colonial era listing was for William M'Glaughlin "Gun founder" in Mount Holly. The reference came from his death notice in the April 26, 1784 issue of the New Jersey Gazette. The other builder was in an 1840 listing.

Back