• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colerain Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twobarrel

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Getting ready to build a smoothie. Does anyone have any opinions on using colerain o/r smooth bore barrels?

I have a 20ga. 44" on my fowler. I am content with it. What ga. you thinking about?

I just bought a 12ga fowler barrel, nicely made, highly polished bore but the breeching job is pretty bad. Took me a while to come up with 7/8" 14 tap to grind off to cut the threads all the way to the breech face to rebreech it. The factory plug fitting job was not even close touching the breech face.

I have used several swamped Colraine barrels and the were quite accurate and well made as far as I could tell most round barrels will likely be heavier than originals unless custom ordered, particularly in smaller bores when the same blank is used for two or three sizes of bore, that is what I found when I went with a .58 on a Fusil the same barrel was used for the .62/.66 and probably 1 1/2 lighter or more in the .66 this is the down side of having the same profile in several bore sizes.

There are NO uniform standard lengths for the threaded portions of breeched barrels, nor for breech plugs. Because any barrel maker has no idea where you are going to obtain a breechplug, he can't possibly know how long the threaded shank of the plug will be. He leaves extra metal, for you to remove to make a good fit.

Because the breechplug maker has no idea what kind of lock you are going to use, HE makes the threaded shank of the plug longer, so that you can cut it back to fit your needs.

Often, both the Breech plug, AND the threaded rear of the barrel HAVE TO BE cut back to make the parts fit, together, AND BE THE PROPER length for placement of different lock plates.

Its up to gun builders to find this out, through measuring all three parts, and make them fit properly. It doesn't take much thought, or a computer to get the measurements correct. It does take some planning.

If a supplier tells you that the lock you are choosing to use with a certain style tang/plug, and barrel thickness, is not the best choice, you probably should listen to him. :hmm: :thumbsup:

His barrel came from Colerain already breeched, but incorrectly. You are always typing about subjects of which you obviously have little knowledge.

I should have mentioned that the barrel on the outside on the rd. part was wavy enough, when you looked down it. With allot of work with a good file going down the length of it, I was able to get to very straight. But it takes work. Also, the reason I asked about ga. is that the 20ga. uses the very same profile as the 16ga. With that in mind, the 16ga. is much lighter. If, I were thinking, I would have went with a 16ga. It would have been more HC in weight. But, I am happy with it, though as it is. The bore, is very nice. I can't say about the other barrels as far as waviness, as I just didn't compare them. If were to build another gun, I would me looking at the profiles allot closer and if several ga. or cal. use the same profile, I would use the largest bore. JMHO

I for one bvelieve Paul is one of the most informed people on this forum. He may miss a detail now and then, but over all his advise is good. And he doesn't insult other posters! :hmm: :hmm:

Quite often missinformation and flat BS can be taken as an offense, a poll taken by the longtime achnowledged gun historians/builders and such would shed light on the credibility of many I suspect.

ohio ramrod said:
I for one bvelieve Paul is one of the most informed people on this forum. He may miss a detail now and then, but over all his advise is good. And he doesn't insult other posters! :hmm: :hmm:
:doh:

As you can see, Ohio RR, my fan club is a tight nit bunch, sounding off in chorus. Now if the man from North Carolina will just join in, we can make it a complete quartet.

To Fitter, EXCUU-U-U-U-S-S-S-E ME! I MISSED THAT FACT. Ya got me. I am human after all. :blah: :rotf: :bow: :grin:

I was hoping that Claude would finally invite you to leave this forum, but you are just like a bad penny, turning up in change, again, sooner or later. We don't need web trolls like you on this forum. There are nicer ways to point out to anyone, including me, that I may have missed some fact you think is important. You have a Happier New Year, now, Hear???

HIS EXPERIENCE IS NOT UNIQUE, CONCERNING THAT BRAND OF BARREL, AND THOSE WHO MAKE THEM. FROM VERY GOOD SOURCES, I am told that Colerain sells every barrel he makes, and keeps NO rejects. No other barrel maker claims to make perfect barrels, either directly, or by implication.

I know there are many people who think the most highly about the quality of their Colerain barrels. I have no doubt that they are speaking truthfully, from their experience, and point of view. It should disturb all of us whenever we hear that a barrel was delivered to a customer with something visibly wrong to it. :surrender: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Having some knowledge about how difficult it is to make a "perfect barrel", I would not recommend anyone deal with someone who sells whatever they make, good bad, or indifferent, to someone, and then brags about it. :hmm: This is too small an industry for anyone to play fast and loose with a customer. Thankfully, we do have lots of honorable people like Mike Brooks, building quality guns and standing behind his work. You have to think twice before you turn to some of these other suppliers, even if it means you may have to wait some time to take delivery of your gun. :v

You must be prepared to rebreech the barrel. Every one of their barrels that have crossed my bench needed refitting. Also I would try a tightly fitted patched ball and push it through the barrel looking for tight or loose spots. Inspect carefully, this barrel maker is the only one I have had to sent barrels back to suppliers.

Thats quite to the point, and the truth. The barrels are ok but the breeching should always be checked, contrary to what the typomaniacs have to say. Even Birddog is aware of that, doesn't need the extra work of rebreeching. Stick to what you know paul, if anything. Certainly not gun building. :wink:

I alway check to make sure the breech plug is properly fit, if it comes that way, no matter who makes the barrel. I have used many Colraine, octagon to round, smooth and rifled, barrels. The barrels themselves have always good to excellent, but I always re-fit the breech plug.
Robby

Mike Brooks said:
ohio ramrod said:
:doh:

:rotf: :rotf:

if the breech doesnt fit right just get a small very thin piece of copper or brass put it on the breech face and screw it tight

So if I had to choose between a Colerain and a DeHaas barrel for a fowler, which one should I go with?

Latest posts

Back