• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colerain Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benco

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Colerain Barrels in .54 using PRB? Curious how accurate and types of load combinations that work best in the 1 in 56 barrel.

Very well. I have a 33" Colerain on an 1803 and worked up loads using both 2F and 3F powder, .530 Hornaday ball and .018 pillow ticking lubed with home made Bear grease. I shoots better than I can hold it. :thumbsup:

Settled on a .530 ball and .015" patching for mine (38"). Target loads are 65 grains FF or FFFg and spit for lube.

Hunting loads get boosted to 90gr FFg, bore butter lube and a 20ga felt wad under the ball.

Tried .535 ball. Just loaded harder with no improvement in accurracy. Same thing with a .018" patch and the smaller ball.

I can approach 3" groups from the bench at 100yds, but that seems to be my limit with iron sights, no matter what gun I'm shooting.

I would suggest a Rice barrel. They cost a little more, but you get more in quality. Inside and out.

Wick Ellerbe said:
I would suggest a Rice barrel. They cost a little more, but you get more in quality. Inside and out.

Would you explain this, please. Thanks - Bill

The Rice barrels are stress relieved. The bores are made uniform with a carbide plug, so loose or tight spots do not exist. They are very well finished inside. The outsides are much more finished than most, and the breech plugs acually fit like they should. http://www.ricebarrels.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I will agree on Rice being the better barrel. However, Colerain is not a bad choice.

I agree about the Rice barrels too but there maybe a good reason he specifically asked about the Colerain. So how about those who have used a .54 Colerain let him know what they think.

I've got a 38" .54 colerain Isaac Haines that will shoot cloverleafs at 50 yards off the bench (if I'm on my game). Shooting 70gr FF Goex, .530 Hornadys and ticking lubed w/ moose juice.

The Colerain has done well for me in the large bores. Have used probably ? 20 of them. Have to refit most the breechplugs as I think a blind guy fits them for Colerain. :idunno: No, actually I think the breech fitting is all machine done & way too much tolerance, as I have had BIG gaps at the breechface on some & in the last 5 barrels, have not had a proper fitted one. The Colerain barrel is rougher in & out But, the ones I have had were more accurate than you can hold them. Have had absolutely no complaints on them from people on rifles I have used them on. I do like their heavy breechplug & tang, others don't.

You need to check the bore well as soon as you get it. Take the breechplug out & check that bore/brecchplug fit. Then use a real tight oiled patch/jag, check bore for rough spots, chatter/ripples in the bore, then bore light check for scores in the bore. Have had one arced bore, one ripple bore & one with loose/tight spots in the bore. I am now using mostly Rice, Getz & Grn. Mtn. for better quality all around. Rice is definitely Top Dog of the 4 barrel makers.

Keith Lisle

I have a Colerain B on my .40 cal. flintlock and am more than pleased with it! I can't compare it with the others mention, but I for one am quite pleased with it, just my 2 cents!

I have a 44" Colerain on an Early Virginia I ordered from Narragansett Armes some years ago. It too is a .54 cal. I've messed around with loads off and on over the years but haven't really gone at it seriously--I got it for my hunting and trekking rifle--when I get the chance--not as a match rifle. My intent was to work up one load for it. I finally did start using it in matches--60g 25 yds, 70g 50 yds, 80g 100 yds--all 2f with .018 ticking patch and either .530 or .535--use them both from time to time. Even tried .526 to try and get away from a short starter. The last couple of months and up through October I am using it at our club matches and trying a different charge each month--using the same charge at all 3 distances. I've settled on the .530 ball--won't have to use a mallet to start. I see most others here with Colerains in that caliber are using the .530. I'm finally looking for that best load to use from 0 out to slightly over 100 yds for hunting. I love that rifle and barrel but have noticed it shoots low--had to take alot off the front sight when I worked up those 3 target loads. Another club member built a rifle with a Colerain and had the same problem--he sent it back to Colerain and they bent the barrel. First time I heard of a rifle barrel being bent. I forgot to mention that I am switching from 2f to 3f as well.

Well, it is hard to really say the barrel shot low. The barrel was ( I hope ) hitting where you were aiming. Sometimes you need a taller rear sight, sometimes you need a shorter front sight. Sometimes you have to change it all around. :redface:

Bench the gun and only change one factor at a time. Shoot first to get the smallest group for that barrel. Then, and only then, change the sights to bring POI to POA.

If you don't have it, invest $20.00 in Dutch Schoultz' Black Powder Rifle Accuracy System.
http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

It will teach you how to read your patches to tell what is going on with your barrel.

I would recommend you use CAST pure lead Round balls, and Not the Swaged RBs available from Hornady, or Speer. The Swaged balls have antimony, making the lead harder, and much less likely to upset in the barrel quickly when fired.

Try both 3Fg and 2Fg to see which your rifle likes the best. The gun, and your spent patches will tell you.

Recognize that if you use 3Fg with large powder charges( over 70 grains) you may find the patch burning in the center. Try using a thicker patch- .020", instead of the .018", so that it will hold more lube in the fabric. That is often all that is needed to stop the burning. If it doesn't stop the burning, then consider using either an OP wad, or some kind of filler, like corn meal, to act as a "firewall" between the powder and the PRB.

You should be in the ball park using a load of 80 grains of 3Fg powder and that .530" ball, with a .020" patch well lubed. OR, using 90 grain of 2Fg powder with a .530" ball and the .020" patch well lubed, for a hunting load good to 100 yds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the one I have
38" swamped 54.
Shoots well..
These are not like modern center-fire guns or in-lines and need to be used regularly.
If you shoot it every week, you will figure out where the shot goes :grin:
I like GM barrels, have a personal connection to the company. But Colerain will do for a builder on a budget.

I have built a lot of longrifles with the colerain 54 and it works great I use one on my long arm in 54cal and with 90grs of 3f and a 530 and 10tho patch it shots good and makes meat for us one raged hole at 50yds

What does the spent patch look like with that load?

Some guns will shoot like cracker jacks out to 50 yds, and then can't hit a barn door at 100 yds. Usually its due to using too thin a patch material and too little lube on the patch.

Latest posts

Back