• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who makes the longest barrel currently

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious, been looking a lot into the Scottish arms from back when and some had ridiculous barrel lengths in excess of 60 to I believe even 80 inches and it got me wondering. I know rice and colerain make up to 48” barrels but is anyone going further? I know past a certain point there’s no need but I’m still curious. Thanks!

Just curious, been looking a lot into the Scottish arms from back when and some had ridiculous barrel lengths in excess of 60 to I believe even 80 inches and it got me wondering. I know rice and colerain make up to 48” barrels but is anyone going further? I know past a certain point there’s no need but I’m still curious. Thanks!
I made this one years back at 60.
00.jpg

I put together a gun that had a 72" Ed Rayl barrel but I think his current setup is 66 IIRC

The 46 & 48" ones at the Rev War Museum in Phila. look positively unwieldy to handle! What were they thinking? (Fowlers)

The 46 & 48" ones at the Rev War Museum in Phila. look positively unwieldy to handle! What were they thinking? (Fowlers)
Depends on the weight of the barrel more than the length, my almost 48" Carolina gun is the one I always grab when I'm going to do a lot of walking.

Yes, they are lighter, probably not as sturdy as the India-made seamless steel barrels on the India-mfg. muskets! I guess ramming them is what would be really awkward, maybe. Good point.
No, they aren't difficult to load unless you are a dork. You place the butt on the ground then walk away from it until the muzzle is at a convenient height. You don't load them straight up and down. I loaded a gun with a 48" barrel sitting in a canoe.

Less the sheer barrel length itself they are VERY handy, plus they shoulder & point well, belying the length & butt design!

In addition they are light in weight too, at least with a premium barrel made to original specs or thereabouts! My 48” barreled Miller trade gun is < 6-pounds and this 60” barreled club butt - below - is < 8!

That long barrel is by Greg Christian there, whereas Rob has his tapered to his specs.

40788837-51C6-4C69-94CC-789A539647F3.jpeg

Get a hold of Ken Netting , he makes custom smoothbore barrels and he's made some d@mn long ones .... PM me for info if your interested

They can make seamless railroad track in extreme lengths; you maybe have seen track laying trains where the lengths are many cars long; imagine what we could do with THAT technology! Hmmmm...o_O

Back