• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CO2 Dischargers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yagee

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I need some info. on CO2 Dischargers. I have not committed the SIN of loading a ball without powder, :nono: and hope I never will. I am just taking the precaution of having one available in case I do have that problem. Question #1, is there one particular brand that performs better then another? Question #2, which CO2 Cartridge replacements, 12 gm. or 16 gm. would be better.
I will be using it on a .54 cal. Investarms Percussion.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Yagee :hatsoff:

Yagee said:
"...and hope I never will..."
But I'd wager you will...it's just a metter of time :winking: ...the good news is it's not a problem if/when you do...you can pull them with a ball puller, blow them out with air, or shoot them out.

Even if you get a discharger, I'd suggest you invest in a coule good quality ball pullers...one for the shooting box at the range for when you realize your CO2 cartridge has leaked empty and you have no spares...and more importanly, one for your hunting pouch as you probably don't want to lug around a CO2 discharger if/while you're hunting

I have used just an ordinary off the shell 12 gm co2 ball discharger and it works fine. Like roud ball says there are times that one of the three methods are better to use. I would be prepared to be able to use any of the the three methods that I can. :v

Here is a link to the one I purchased from Cabelas. Link to Co2 discarger.

It comes with a 16 grm Co2 cartrige. I have not had to use it yet but give it time. :shocked2: I've done the manual ball puller once and needed a stout post to use leverage on the rangerod handle to pull the ball. :nono:

Oh man, has this given me an idea.
Flintlock rifle. Replaceable valve for the vent. Co2, plastic balls. Replacement lock to work the valve. Shoot plastic balls from your flintlock, indoors using Co2. Now to just draw it up and get a patten. :hmm:

TN.Frank said:
Flintlock rifle. Replaceable valve for the vent. Co2, plastic balls. Replacement lock to work the valve. Shoot plastic balls from your flintlock, indoors using Co2. Now to just draw it up and get a patten. :hmm:
And make "paint-ball" Flintlocks out of smoothbores !

Yep, paintballs are .680" they should work well out of a 69cal smoothbore or with a patch out of a larger bore.

I have one I got from Rightnour Mfg. a few years ago. Only have used it occasionally to blow out an old load after hunting and its late and I don't feel like pulling it or shooting it out and having to clean, etc. Use 12g cartridges from Wal-mart (bb gun section). No problems using it on my 50 and 54's, flint or percussion.

I use one of the CO2 dischargers. Works great. I got it because I thought I could save the loaded conical ( versus pulling with a screw) but the conical comes out so fast that it usually gets distorted.
Saves cleaning the gun or messing with pulling a conical( sometimes harder that a RB)

crockett said:
I use one of the CO2 dischargers. Works great. I got it because I thought I could save the loaded conical ( versus pulling with a screw) but the conical comes out so fast that it usually gets distorted.
Saves cleaning the gun or messing with pulling a conical( sometimes harder that a RB)
FWIW, at the beginning of hunting season I set up a cardboard box with a few old towels in it, then drape one across the top like a hammock...blow out patched round balls into it and there's no harm.

But conicals, even if blown out unharmed, will already have one complete set of land marks cut through the bands...seating it again would undoubtedly make another complete set of cuts in different places and for that reason alone I personally wouldn't want to trust their accuracy when a 10 pointer stepped into view.

Don't know how big the game is you're hunting that might require conicals, but real economy can be gained by using patched round balls instead...

Yup the Cabelas discharger works great!I discharge my hunting load every night and then start over new the next morning.A small price to pay for peace of mind.
I also have it thrown in my shooting box while at the range.It seems to come in handy every now and then.... :hmm:

I have one that uses 12gram and I really really like it. At the end of the day I can use it to eject my load after hunting, discharging any load or whatever. I really recomend one.

Just noticed something. When I got the extra cartriges from Cabelas they were 16 grm ones. On their web site they show 12. Must have changed. :hmm:

There are two sizes. Often the larger size will include the adapter for the small cartridges. Some liquor/bar supply companies stock the smaller sizes for particular drinks and they are readily available for that purpose. The larger size is used for CO2 BB and pellet guns and we see those at WalMart.

CS

I tried blowing the ball out after a day of hunting and I couldn't get a good seal. I ended up shooting it out and cleaning the gun that night. Anyone else have a problem getting a good seal?

TN.Frank said:
Too Late. The Austrians patented it back in the late 1700s.

Operation%201n-29k.gif

[url] http://www.beemans.net/lewis assault rifle.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had good luck with the Co2 ball dischargers except: with a vented nipple. All I did was pull the nipple and put a standard nipple back in it's place....Jim

I agree. I've had good luck most of the time. I always have one in my range box. I've used it on about every organizewd shoot I've been too. Usually someone dryballs one and its an easy solution to the problem.

Latest posts

Back