• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CO2 ball discharger and accessories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
A while back some person had a discussion on removing a patched ball from a rifle. I think it was a flint rifle anyway the discussion led to the CO2 discharger and that the poster could not find an adaptor to work with a flint rifle. I posted my answer which was that one could be made using brass hobby tubing and some round brass rod. I said that when I get some extra time I would make one and post it. Here is the adaptor that I made using about $4.00 worth of material. Even though the cost of material was very low labor is what took most of the time. I did not have any 5/16" brass rod on hand so I took a 3/8" X 2-1/2" X 4" piece of bar stock and cut a 3/8" X 3/8" X 4" piece out of the block and then put it in the lathe and turned it to 5/16" diameter. After that I proceeded to cut the tubing and soldered everything together. The picture with the CO2 discharger and it's original accessories was purchased in 1999 or 2000 and have used it a few times with great success. The last time I used it was about 15 years ago and I left the CO2 gas cylinder in the discharger. I pulled the trigger on the discharger the other day thinking that the gas cylinder would be empty but to my surprise it emitted a loud and long gas burst which startled me. It had enough force to propel a ball out of a barrel very easily.

Attachments

• Flintlock nozzle.JPG
    Flintlock nozzle.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 8
  • CO2 ball discharger & accessories .JPG
    CO2 ball discharger & accessories .JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 0
I am glad yours works. I bought one about ten years ago at the Log Cabin and it never worked right. It always leaked gas. It will blow out "lost" patches but not a patched ball.

Sorry to hear that. I've read that a drop of pellet gun oil on the CO2 cylinder nose & seal before you put it in the discharger helps with gas leakage :dunno: . I've not tried this because mine works just fine.

I have a discharger just like yours, Zug. It, also, works very well. Easily blows out a ball at the end of a hunt. Mine doesn't seem to have a name on it, but I'd buy another one.
i have one too, here is what I’ve done get a basketball needle and wrap some scotch tape a short distance from the opening enough to seal the touch hole and your good to go! Ozarkjim

Both of your items might just save the day when the time comes (if it comes). It's like insurance - it's there if you need it.

Since I'm on a CO2 discharger kick, I purchased a bicycle CO2 tire inflator that holds a 20 gr CO2 cylinder which should be enough to force even the toughest patched ball out. The only drawback is that the nozzle is threaded for a tire valve not the accessories that comes for the muzzle loaders. At the moment I am working on making up some nozzles for the flintlock guns. Here is a picture of where I am at
P1030673.JPG

i have one too, here is what I’ve done get a basketball needle and wrap some scotch tape a short distance from the opening enough to seal the touch hole and your good to go! Ozarkjim
I use a ball needle filler on my CO2 discharger also. I filed the nozzle end down to fit the touch hole, and put a small rubber "o" ring on the shaft to go against the barrel when discharging. Seems to work just fine on all my flinters except my .58. the .58 has a larger touch hole, so the needle valve does not seal as well.

I have a co2 ball dislodger with no name on it. It works great have had it for years. Everytime I go to a rendezvous seems like someone needs help and I end up using it. I do need a new flint adapter since the fine tip on mine broke off.

Back