• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clothes pin plug: how to make?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salkehatchie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Simple as can be, probably all over the internet...

Want to make a "clothes pin plug" and can not find "anywhere" even here a sketch or how to make one! :surrender:

I have seen items posted on the net that mention they have one incorporated in it. Shot flask etc., but...

Help would be appreciated. My wife's grandmother's old fashioned clothes pins can't last much longer with my feeble attempts. :redface:

Well, not sure!?

Anytime I have seen them, there were only pictures and very difficult to tell exact make up. Bottle stoppers etc., not used on weapons.

I seriously doubt there is any "secret technique" involved in making one. Would just like to have some reference [ print and picture] in the colonial period before I rob anymore of Grandmother's antique clothes pins.

They have such a great patina :grin:

Well, a Tompion can be used in conjunction with a wood spout on a ball bag, for example, but it generally was not used on something like a bottle as it wasn't tight enough to hold liquid. Here is an example: https://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_100_357&products_id=7942

A tompion works by there being two saw cuts perpendicular to each other at the start of the end that goes into the hole. With an old wooden clothes pin, you already have one cut down the length and you would need to saw another cut perpendicular to it. The diameter of the end is sort of belled out so the fingers of wood are forced inward into the cuts when you push the stopper in place.

Now, if you wish to make a seal with the clothes pin that will resist liquid from coming out, then you usually don't make the saw cuts. Rather you press the pin diameter in and shave the diameter down by hand so it has a good press fit. Is this what you mean?

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your grandmother's pins are safe.

I make these for my ball and shot bags, they are not difficult to make and they work very well. They aren't actually made from a clothespin, it's just the term for a style of stopper. All you do is make a stopper just slightly larger than the opening of the spout and saw a kerf in the end of the stopper. It need to be made of some wood which is at least slightly flexible, so the two legs you make can squeeze together a bit and hold tight by trying to expand again. Here's one made of hickory:

Spence

Spence:

Thank you and Gus. Now, the vintage clothes pins will no longer disappear. Plenty of scrap items for this technique.

I have a bit more sophisticated version as the stopper for my main powder horn.

Spence

I was completly confused by this topic until the pic came up...call them clothespegs over here...I thought you were talking about safety pins or summat.

Wow. Now that is neat. I have never heard of, nor seen one of these before. Looks rather neat.

I wasn't familiar with the name Tompion so I did an image search and found it more commonly used for rifle barrels.
In fact I thought it was a really cool idea and want one for my gun.

Tompions are kinda useless for general use. As far as I know, they were used in a military setting - probably when the were guns stacked for easy access in the field.

'morning,

Something to keep in mind with tompions. Never put one into a dirty barrel. Since they're wood or cork, they'll pick up the fouling. When you put them into the clean barrel, you'll be introducing the fouling into the first inch or so of the muzzle.

I use them in all of my bp long guns. But it's mainly to keep the cat hair out. With 7 in the herd (within the past year, we've decreased from 9), that's a lot of cat hair in the house...

Calum

George said:
I think your grandmother's pins are safe.

I make these for my ball and shot bags, they are not difficult to make and they work very well. They aren't actually made from a clothespin, it's just the term for a style of stopper. All you do is make a stopper just slightly larger than the opening of the spout and saw a kerf in the end of the stopper. It need to be made of some wood which is at least slightly flexible, so the two legs you make can squeeze together a bit and hold tight by trying to expand again. Here's one made of hickory:

Spence

Note what Gen'l Bob points out in making is fit tightly and holding. You can see a bit of flare at the spread end.

If it happens to wear a bit loose, you can regulate the fit with a wedge inside the split.

I have made these by filing or carving, but a lathe does the best job by far!

CS

Latest posts

Back