• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning your flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no problem like a toothpick and plugging a flash hole at all. I don't put water anywhere near my guns. I use WD40 it cleans as good as or better than water and no chance of rust or water rotting my wood,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I always remove the barrel and stick the breech end in a bucket of hot soapy water, then pump the soapy water through the drum and nipple, or flash hole as may be the case, then run dry patches until the bore is dry, then lightly lube with good 'ol 3 in 1 oil or Hoppy's gun oil.
I've never had so much as a speck of rust in my bores.

Yes. barrels that are pinned to the stock are more of a pain in the sitter to remove than those with a hooked breech and wedges. However, I feel it is worth the effort, since I know my barrels are as clean as possible.

I've used WD-40 on bicycle chains. They still rust. WD-40 is a water displacement mixture. It is not a short term or long term rust preventative.

Last edited:
With my hook and key barrels it's not a big problem either, but with the barrels that fit in the wood with pins I only dismantle two or three times a year, the too frequent dismantling of the pins does not inspire me confidence in terms of wear and tear. The protection and sealing are made with water repellent grease between the barrel and the wood...
Don't like so much WD40 but I use it sometimes when I know that I can't clean the bore when coming home, so that can wait one or two days without great risk..

I always remove the barrel and stick the breech end in a bucket of hot soapy water, then pump the soapy water through the drum and nipple, or flash hole as may be the case, then run dry patches until the bore is dry, then lightly lube with good 'ol 3 in 1 oil or Hoppy's gun oil.
I've never had so much as a speck of rust in my bores.

Yes. barrels that are pinned to the stock are more of a pain in the sitter to remove than those with a hooked breech and wedges. However, I feel it is worth the effort, since I know my barrels are as clean as possible.

I've used WD-40 on bicycle chains. They still rust. WD-40 is a water displacement mixture. It is not a short term or long term rust preventative.

yep the bicycle chains will rust but most of the time they are left in the yard or had rust to begin with, my guns are not in the yard or have rust. after I clean them I lube with rem-oil or ballistol if I an not going to shoot them for a time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Latest posts

Back