• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cleaning product question about "what is it?"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyandmarsha

32 Cal.
Reaction score
any idea what most commercial Bore Solvents are made up of?

how do they avoid making it petroleum based?

OR

if they're not or water based are they petroleum based?

:thanks:

p.s. what do you guys use for a non-petroleum based
degreaser or is there such a thing?

any idea what most commercial Bore Solvents are made up of?
how do they avoid making it petroleum based?
OR
if they're not or water based are they petroleum based?
:thanks:

I know about three:

TC's #13 cleaner (made by OxYoke) is 'FDA food grade rated' so I'm sure it has no petroleum;

Hoppe's No.9 BP PLUS solvent says it contains Kerosene, yet obviously not enough to create the "petroleum / BP fouling" problems petroleum is known to cause...indeed it's an outstanding cleaner & patch lube;

A jug of water with a squirt of dishwashing detergent in it makes a good supply of an outstanding bore cleaner;

Are you just strictly talking about muzzleloading bore cleaners or solvents in general that are not petroleum based? (or have those petroleum distillates)

Do you mean like natural oils from plants, trees, and things?

I use those citrus oil based cleaners to gut grease, but they don't always do the job like kerosene or gasoline. One of the most least offensive smelling for me is those "orange citrus waterless hand cleaner."

I believe those diswashing liquids are meant to cut animal and vegetable based greases used for cooking and in foods. I think to cut through the petroleum based greases you almost have to use a petroleum based solvent. Kind of a "fight fire with fire" situation.

I was just thinking... turpentine, it comse from tree sap.

I have a bottle of mineral oil that is meant to be taken for relief of constipation. The ingredients are Extra Heavy Mineral Oil no mention of vegetable. Is it petroleum based?
Rusty Duck list ethylen glycol mono ester, the FDA approved bore butter is probably crisco and bees wax. I dont have the papers with me but I think Ballistoil is also FDA approved for lubing food contact stuff. That would lead me to grain alcohol as the ingredient, since it is also a disinfectant. :m2c:

Mineral oil is petrolatum, a by-product of refining petroleum.

Petroleum itself is derived from the remains of decomposed plants and animals from 200 million years ago, so, in fact, petroleum itself is vegetable based. :crackup:

Petrolatum is Vasaline Petroleum Jelly, so the oil must be a more liquid version? I wouldn't use it in a BP gun, bees wax and olive oil for me.

Petroleum Jelly is petrolatum mixed with paraffin waxes (also from the the refining process).

Robert Augustus Cheesebrough.

In 1859 when oil was first found in Pennsylvania, Cheesebrough was a 22 year old chemist in Brooklyn who had become an expert at extracting kerosene from cannel oil.

He realized that petroleum products would be the fuel source of the future so he headed to Pennsylvania to get his piece of the action.

He noticed that a colorless film called "rod wax" collected around the pump rods on the oil wells, gumming up the works until it was removed. He also observed oil workers who would slap the stuff on a cut, instead of a bandage. Not only did it stay on the skin and stop the bleeding, but it seemed to help cure the wound.

Cheesebrough returned to Brooklyn with some rod-wax and spent months creating a clean form of rod-wax which he called "petroleum jelly". He began making so much of this stuff that every beaker in his laboratory was full, so he threw out his wife's flowers and filled the vases with his creation.

After awhile, he added the popular medical term "line" to the word "vase" and he called the product "Vaseline Petroleum Jelly."

Back