• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning metal parts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan.davis

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have found Brasso to work well to clean my brass parts.

What seems to work well to clean the outside of the barrel and other metal parts? My metal parts are in the white (not blued or browned). After a 3-day hunting trip last weekend, some spots (discolorations) on the white metal parts seem extremely resistant to removal.

You can wax your white parts with car wax this will help keep out the weather.
I had a reenactor friend in my old civil war outfit who had a 1861 springfield that seem to rust up well after any reenactment just top rust though, we finally got tired of buffing it out after each time we came back from an event that I finally cleaned it up real good and then put a clear coat of Krylon spray paint on it, after that no problems.

The problem with clear coatings, or varnish around boats is that they can get nicked, and water can easily find its' way under there to do damage to the underlying material. That's why oil and wax are used so much. They are easily stripped, and re-applied without finish build-up.

I have a couple of Ohio rifles that are "in the white" as far as the barrel/lock goes (which is correct for a percussion era Ohio).

I "clean" them with a rough cloth (old blue jean) and gun oil.

I have also heard/been advised about using wax, I have just never bothered myself. Even after a couple days in the field in crappy conditions, a simple wipe with some oil seems to be keeping rust at bay.

Originals, such as Vincent rifles, have survived nicely for over 150 years without any "coating" on the barrels/locks. They take on a nice grey colour.

I'm hoping mine will as well some time before mine end up in my "estate" :rotf:

If you don't mess with trying to polish the barrel after each use it will turn a really attractive steel gray color. Just use steel wool to knock down any red rust near the lock and then oil it and put it away. After a year or two the barrel will be steel gray and won't easily show rust.

Latest posts

Back