• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Civil war knife?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bibs

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Can anyone give a idea if this is a time period Civil war knife? Bone handles well worn

Attachments

• thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    458 KB · Views: 11
  • thumbnail (7).jpg
    thumbnail (7).jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail (6).jpg
    thumbnail (6).jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail (5).jpg
    thumbnail (5).jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail (11).jpg
    thumbnail (11).jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail (9).jpg
    thumbnail (9).jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 0
Blade length, width and thickness, could be dated to the civil war or even earlier in my opinion, I am sure someone will come along with a better opinion than mine. either way I would clean it up a bit make a sheath and it would become my F&I belt knife; I like it. I have always had a draw to the old stuff guns and knives especially.

I never had a bone handle that looks this old I was told a Civil War piece it came from a guy in Tennessee blade is 11 1/2 inches long over all it is between 16-16 1/2 long handle is 1inch thick

I thought that myself Wish I had more information on it or a great story but only have the knife came from a Tennessee man he said he was told it was carried in Civil War All I know

CARRIED in it, but may be a good bit older in origin. Sometimes encountered in personal ACW weapons, from what I've heard, esp. In the South... My favorite was the rifle I mentioned in a post sometime back: originally used at Kings Mountain in the AWI, converted to percussion, carried in the ACW, and was still being used to hunnt deer during the 1975 blackpowder hunt in NC by the then-current heir, 6 generations after its manufacture.

Can anyone give a idea if this is a time period Civil war knife? Bone handles well worn
According to a compilation of Civil War letters, most carried tomahawks and huge, broad-bellied knives for slashing-and-stabbing. These were thrown away very early on by the Infantry.

Not made for cutting tobacco or corn Can't say it may have been used for anything in it's time But not designed for that I have seen many tobacco and corn knives

Back