• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cimarron vs Taylor’s 1849 or 1851

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 57523

32 Cal
Reaction score
Im interested in either an 1849 pocket or 51 navy. While I know that both are manufactured by uberti, I am curious if there are any differences between the two distributors in terms of finish or functionality, not including markings. The prices appear to be similar, and I’d go with either.

No difference. Though some configurations are only available through certain distributors.

For me - I'd buy the .36 caliber Navy first then the .31 caliber 1849 - more bang for your buck 😊 ;):thumb:

If you can find a 50lb sack of .320 buckshot, you're set for life with a .31
Question: I got a Wells Fargo for Christmas. .315 about ‘drops’ in, .320 not much better, 0 buck about the same as .320, .33 00 buck waay to tight. .323 seems to be right. Manual says suggested.33. I measured the chambers and balls (can’t remember chamber measurements, will post later) please offer guidance ☺️
I haven’t shot it yet, hoping to find the answer/guidance here

Question: I got a Wells Fargo for Christmas. .315 about ‘drops’ in, .320 not much better, 0 buck about the same as .320, .33 00 buck waay to tight. .323 seems to be right. Manual says suggested.33. I measured the chambers and balls (can’t remember chamber measurements, will post later) please offer guidance ☺️
I haven’t shot it yet, hoping to find the answer/guidance here
If you got it used, maybe the last owner chamfered the chambers or opened them up?

Uberti chambers can run a little big too, and the pocket models can be hinky. My .36 Pocket Police is kinda like that, .375 balls will just push into the chambers with very little "help" from the loading lever. It probably needs .380s. I've never had one back out and I've put a 100 or so through it, maybe they fit just tight enough

No, got it brand new from midway. I’m going to try shooting it with the .323’s what do you think? I barely got a. 33 00 buck in and it flattened a big part of the ball and cut, not shaved, quite a bit into the ball to the point you could very visibly notice the reduction in diameter. I compared to the loading experience with the Wells Fargo to a hand loading experience with my 44. As it was very hard to press the balls by hand into the 44 cylinder it was not as hard to press the 323 in the .31 cylinder. I am thinking I may take it to deer Creek gun shop in Kennesaw, Georgia, which specializes in black powder and muzzleloading and see if the older gentleman there recommendations. I feel fairly confident. The 32 threes will perform OK. I just am very paranoid about blowing it up. Should I be concerned what are you guys think?

No, got it brand new from midway. I’m going to try shooting it with the .323’s what do you think? I barely got a. 33 00 buck in and it flattened a big part of the ball and cut, not shaved, quite a bit into the ball to the point you could very visibly notice the reduction in diameter. I compared to the loading experience with the Wells Fargo to a hand loading experience with my 44. As it was very hard to press the balls by hand into the 44 cylinder it was not as hard to press the 323 in the .31 cylinder. I am thinking I may take it to deer Creek gun shop in Kennesaw, Georgia, which specializes in black powder and muzzleloading and see if the older gentleman there recommendations. I feel fairly confident. The 32 threes will perform OK. I just am very paranoid about blowing it up. Should I be concerned what are you guys think?
If it shaves a ring when you load the ball, it will be fine. If .323's load easily and shave a ring, just go with those

You won't blow it up , just make sure to fully seat the ball on to the powder.

I went through the same thing trying to load a .380 ball into a .36 Pietta, I basically mangled the ball trying to get it in, and I had to tap it in with a hammer. Piettas run tight, Ubertis are often a little generous in the chambers.

Back