• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chunk Guns West Virginia area

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyfeather

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up a nice 50 cal Ed Rayl barreled chunk gun from Ed Cain the other day.After shooting Black powder for about 50 years, I find myself with more questions than knowledge about care and feeding of of these pieces of history, also wanting to enter some match shooting, where can I find information about West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky events?

I Keep a eye on both those places, I have found good info in both, but there is some shooting going on in the Charleston area etc, I would like to catch up with some of these to help with the learning curve. I have a range here on the farm but the self taught target shooter has a poor teacher. I grew up hunting squirrels with a original 40 caliber, and rabbit hunting with a double stuffer English 12 gauge. My fathers brother had never stopped using them. Fond memories of hunting with Uncle Bill. Not a complete introduction to serious range work. Cains told me the rifle I have was traded in by a gentleman who had used it to shoot with a group in the Charleston area.I hope they are still active. Retirement gives me time to devote and with a lifelong love of these rifles I have the itch bad.
Thank you for your input, appreciated.
John

Not too far, but have a wedding to attend that takes priority, not mine, I married my high school sweetheart 40 years ago. She would cause me great harm if I skip out on these doings. I do plan on being there next year if only to watch, would prefer to enter if all goes well.
John

I hear you! I had so much trouble adjusting to married life when I married my first wife I said I would never get married again. Which is why I am still married to her fourty years later.

If you live in the Charleston area you can come over to the Mountaineer Flintlock Rifles club. We have a range on Coal River near St. Albans. We used to be on Blue Lick in Teays Valley. Our new range has berms behind the target backers, but we have just enough room between to accomodate 3 or 4 chunk guns. If you're interested I can try to give you some directions.

The WV State Chunk gun Championship is held at Pritchard in Wayne Co. every year the 2nd Saturday in May. They also have several shoots throughout the Summer and Fall. There is a shoot at the Northeastern Rod & Gun Club near Cannonsburg, KY just across the river on the 3rd Saturday in May. In October there is an old time over the log shoot at Bill Large's JJJJ Ranch. Last 2 years this has been limited to using a rifle that you can shoot offhand as half of the match is done that way. So we have a few chunk gun matches in the western WV, eastern KY and southeastern OH area.

Oh yes, besides she has nearly gotten used to me. Introduce her as my present wife so she can practice her scowl. Wouldn't change a thing.
John

Thanks and yes I would greatly appreciate info & directions for your club range and information about your local rifle club. I live between Parkersburg and Ripley, but Charleston/St. Albans is just up the road. Actually in So. Charleston once a month for Linda's medical treatments. I have heard about the Prichard shoots but haven't found the location. Bill Large... I kept trying to get him to build me a slug gun, he always said he wouldn't live long enough to fill the orders he had. Sadly our last conversation was just prior to our loss of this one.
This info about the activities in our local area is what I need to get my feet wet.

I suspect you or some of the shooters will know this rifle, Ed said the fellow who traded it in worked for the gas company, 17 pounder 1840's half stock, southern style, 48" Ed Rayl 1 1/8" barrel.

Thank you
John

If you don't know the area around St. Albans it can be tricky finding the range. I'll see if I can write something up that will make it easier to find and send it to you in a PM. Do you know any shooters in your area? Two of our members live pretty close to you. One is near Evans and the other lives between Ripley and Spencer.

Don't know them, but will try to fix that. Directions help,I am used to navigating with Mail Pouch barns, maple trees and big rocks as landmarks. Thanks kindly for the help.
John

Back