• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chronographed .45cal hunting loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
EQUIPMENT

TVM Early Virginia
Rice 42” B-weight swamped barrel
.45cal x 1:66” x .016” round bottom grooves
Chambers Deluxe Siler
Davis DST

SHOOTING PARTICULARS

Cleaned / dried / lubed the bore after every shot
Pact Pro MK5 Chronograph at 15 feet
Goex 3F powder
.022” OxYoke precut/prelubed patches
Hornady .440 balls

5 shot group average velocity rounded off to nearest 5 fps
70grns = 1535 fps
80grns = 1710 fps
90grns = 1810 fps
100grns = 1865 fps
110grns = 1960 fps

I never understand the occasional non-linear size step from one powder increment to the next”¦like the one from 90 to 100grns”¦but have seen similar odd steps in other rifles over the years”¦and repeating the group today gave the same kind of step result.

Was also impressed to see velocity continue to climb in this long, slow twist barrel and the 110grn charge actually had a couple shots in the string break 2000 fps.

Felt no difference in recoil trying 100 / 110grn charges”¦hefty, accurate rifle, a pleasure to shoot.
NOTE: 110grn charge makes an audible ”˜crack’ sound”¦next range trip I’ll check it for accuracy.
If it’s as accurate (or more so) than 90grns, I’ll just use 110 for my deer load instead of 90.

Thanks for the info...makes me want to get a .45 light weight gun for hill-n-dale! Also need to get me one of those chronographs for my own testing. My cousin and I did some filming of shooting fruit and vegetables from water mellon to tomato's recently with .50 & .54 cal flintlocks, it sure would be nice to know the actual velocity of our PRB's...hope to put together a short film showing just what happens using slow motion photography of the destructive power of a PRB....I know my cousin and I were very impressed! :v

Results like that may push me to get a 45. Never owned one, and curiosity is about to kill me. Thanks for the visit to the land of real data! :hatsoff:

Why would you want to increase your charge? Will this increase your range?do you shoot at longer range?have you been having trouble making kills with the 90 grain charge? I hunt with a .50 prb on a 70grain 3 f load and have not had a problem shooting through and through deer.Will the extra powder charge change your velocity at 50 or 75 yards?

I guess mainly because "I can" and it would be something else to try and get actual hands on experience doing, that's all.
After 20 years of this grand old pastime of shooting / hunting Flintlocks, the novelt wore off years ago and I'm always interested in trying new things, learning new things, etc

roundball said:
I guess mainly because "I can" and it would be something else to try and get actual hands on experience doing, that's all.
After 20 years of this grand old pastime of shooting / hunting Flintlocks, the novelt wore off years ago and I'm always interested in trying new things, learning new things, etc

novelty (sp)

Question: I see that your rifle is a 1-66 twist. I understand that the twist rate affects the stability of the projectile: does it affect velocity?
My .45 is a 1-48. Does the faster twist affect bullet speed?

Matt, I know you did not address your question to me, but I'll venture that velocity variations due to twist are probably minimal if even measureable. One can compare different rifles with varied twists and you will get varied velocities but not necessarily related to twist rate.

I have done quite a bit of velocity comparison with .54 caliber guns and find up to 100 fps difference but it seems to have more to do with how tight the patch ball fit is than twist rate.

Specifically, comparing a TC Hawken .54 with 1:48 twist and a 28" barrel to a Lyman GPR .54 with 1:66 twist and 32" barrel the TC shot 100 fps faster with everything identical; same patch, lube, ball, loading regimen, etc. In fact, the two rifles were shot alternately at the same time. The only noticeable difference was the bore size, with the TC being markedly tighter loading.

Have not chronoed my TC .45 but I'd guess that it's load of 45 grains of 3f and .445 ball are going about 1200 to 1300 fps. Since it's not a big game rifle, that is plenty of speed for small game and paper

Thanks Marmot.

I've been dialing in 30gr of 3f on a rabbit target for my 45. I guess I'll hold on to it (of course) and try to work up a conical load if I ever make some plans for antelope or black bear here. 95% of my hunting is small game anyway, so the 45 will be fine.
the little sucker is accurate, too.

My TC .45 is the most accurate ml gun I own. Maybe cause it's my target/match gun and it's loading regimen is much more detailed and done much more carefully than my other guns.

roundball said:
EQUIPMENT
TVM Early Virginia
Rice 42” B-weight swamped barrel
.45cal x 1:66” x .016” round bottom grooves
Chambers Deluxe Siler
Davis DST
NOTE: 110grn charge makes an audible ”˜crack’ sound”¦next range trip I’ll check it for accuracy.
If it’s as accurate (or more so) than 90grns, I’ll just use 110 for my deer load instead of 90.

Just back from testing / wringing out that 110grn charge at 50yds from a hunting position / no rest.
Groups were basically the same as my regular 90grns charge EXCEPT that there would be a ball 2-3" off from the group every time, and I'd find an occasional patch where pressure was leaking through a groove.
Tried a group with an OxYoke OP wad, and had a couple of worse flyers as if those wads might have turned on their sides while being seated or something, dunno.
But with the heat index at 109* I gave up and will just stay with the regular 90grn charge that I know works.

Big cool down in coming this week and I plan on timing my .45 and .54 loads. 250 grain .452 with 60FFF in the .45 and 70FFF with PRB in the .54. I will post the results later this week.

Timed the .45 T/C Hawken loads yesterday and 3F Olde Eynsford is about 80fps faster than 3F Goex.

60grn - OE
250grain bullet - 1460fps avg

60grn - Goex
250grain bullet 1380fps avg

80 grain of OE and a PRB = 1910fps.
60 = 1720 fps.

I was suprised at the speed of OE. Before you ask this was the avg of 3 shot groups. Mike

Seems pretty energetic for sure...if you're using a Flintlock, do you happen to know the diameter / size of the vent hole in your liner?

No matter what caliber Flintlock barrel I've chronographed over the past several years with Goex, the results always seem to run a little slower than other folks...got to be some sort of common denominator...like the chronograph, or possibly more pressure loss out the large .070" vent hole in my liners, etc.

Walks with fire said:
There is no doubt that a larger vent will decrease pressure but more pressure does not always mean more velocity.
Well, I'm just going by what I've chronographed over the years...I always get some amount of increased velocity with every increment of powder charge that produces more pressure. Just making the observation that in spite of always getting progressively more velocity, the whole set of velocity readings seem to be 75-100fps lower than most others post about...has to be a reason for that.

Talked with PACT about it and they reviewed everything I do setting up / using their chronograph and couldn't take issue with anything, also said that their machine operates using a "crystal" with a set frequency and its like a light bulb...it either works or it doesn't...no in between.

And functionally it doesn't really matter...a PRB MV of 1700fps will take down a deer at 50-75yds as well as one at 1800fps...it just nags at me wondering why the difference. Next best thing I can think about is the vent size...need to pick up an old style 1/4x24 vent and rerun some tests some day and either confirm my suspicion or eliminate it as a possible cause.

Back