• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cholla from Arizona

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Dallas. I lived In Ehrenberg, AZ for several years And would sometimes go to Prescott to escape the heat And the occasional trad archery event. It was a nice place in the 80s.

Yuma was drier than some of the surrounding area and not as uncomfortable to me. El Centro was extremely hot and humid. Blythe was not far behind.

Got a 4 1/2' Coon Tail pinned to a board in my man cave still from a Gambels Quail hunt in 79 in the foothills of Golden Valley out side Kingman AZ. Lived in Bullhead City 76-96 and moved up to Kingman 96-2002. Lot of great desert adventures. Being chased ( yes, chased ) by rattlesnakes back then including Mohave Greens was part of the fun.

Are there the Mohave snakes in your area? We have them here in Cochise and Santa Cruze counties. They inject a neurotoxin as opposed to a hematoxin and are the more dangerous, or so I've been told. I've also been told that the antivenom injections kill quite a few people due to an allergic reaction. Again, that's what I've been told. Like most things these days I don't know what to believe except that I sure don't want to get snake bit.
Mojave Greens are BOTH neurotoxic AND hemotoxic-kinda like a double whammy! They are also quite aggressive and WILL chase you!

Welcome from Mesa, Az. Do you use Borax to de-flesh your skins? We used to hit the cotton fields while they were being flooded ,the snakes of all kinds sought the high ground to stay dry and find critters doing the same.

We used to hit the cotton fields while they were being flooded ,the snakes of all kinds sought the high ground to stay dry...
I had a scare with a whole bunch of snakes (water moccasins) and my young son at a rice field tank (pond/reservoir) near Katy, Texas.
Our Winchester Model 67 and I
1645591031369.png

weren't up to the target-rich environment, so I had to pick him up and skedaddle!
I passed it to him on his 10th birthday.
And a few days ago, he gave us a grandson. 😍

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. Snakes and high water bring back memories!

Last edited:
Hunt them for.....food?
Not referring to the original poster, but people in these parts will kill them on sight any and everywhere. They do have a place as they help keep down on the rodent (pack rat) population. If anyone kills them without regard, they will only have themselves to blame when they open the hood of their vehicle and find the rats have destroyed the wiring harness.

Yuma in the summer must be Hell on Earth. I've been to the Territorial prison and I don't know how people survived it. Interestingly, there are photos of former inmates on the walls of the visitors center. One of them is of a fellow who's last name was Flake. He must have been an ancestor of the former Arizona Senator and fierce anti Trumper Jeff Flake. This photo is of yours truly by the way, not some anti Trumper named Flake!

View attachment 123741
Ha ! love your political humor !
That prison photo is very similar to the old territorial prison here in Boise. The summer temps in ours would have been much more tolerable but bet winters were colder than a witches tit.
:ghostly:

Howdy from Nevada!
I used to do a fare amount of snake hunting myself when in California, we got some nice sized ones there; mostly Pacific but the Western Diamonds could reach 4'-5' often - goods eats.
Sold my last skin (6' stretched mounted on stain wood plaque, rattle on) for $150 at an Idaho gun show.

Back