• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Choices, choices

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertdeans72

36 Cal.
Reaction score
If nobody minds, I'd like to pick a few brains, as it were...

I am currently humming and hawing about whether to purchase a James River Enfield Army Short Rifle with a Hoyt 7 groove, 1:60 barrel or a Navy Arms Parker Hale Enfield Naval Rifle with a 5 groove, progressively rifled, 1:48 barrel. Any thoughts? Any experiences? I would be shooting Old Style minies 460 to 490 grain.

Thanks, Rob

Both would be progressivly rifled, there are proublly 50 different bullets available for these guns. So geting either one to shoot would be no problem. Which one fits you best? Im suprised that you got no replys on the N-SSA page.

Hello Rob , between an italian enfield , even wonderfully customized , and an original Parker Hale , choose the second , it is an accurate and reliable guns . mine is under 2 inches a 100yards
since 30 years , all parts are originals , I have just used 1 or 2 fistfuls of nipples.

The Navy Arms Parker Hale Enfield Naval Rifle is currently made in Italy.
For a while, Parker Hale was supplying the barrels for it so they could still be marked "PARKER HALE BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND" with the Crown over BP proof mark but I'm not sure they are doing that any more.

The only way to get one of the Parker Hale Enfields that was actually made in England that I know of is to find one at a gun show or in an ad at the N-SSA.

As you will find if you read the many posts on this site about all of these Rifled Muskets, they tend to be fussy about which Minnie you shoot in them. In general, the ones with the thicker skirts work best.

As for powder, 60-65 grains of FFg works fine. The recoil is comparable (IMO) to a 20 guage shotgun so firing 50+ rounds in a day can tenderize your shoulder pretty good. :grin:

If your considering a Parker Hale I would suggest trying to find one that was actually made in England, they are much better made than the Italian counterparts.
I know of two that are/were for sale in australia and your looking at about 650-800. Im not sure that they cost in the states etc, need to factor in exchange rate as well lessen price by 25%.
These are the carbine versions aka musketoons, if your interested pm me and I will give you the dealers details.
I have a PH musketoon and they love minies, and are quite accurate, but as Zonie stated they do have a tendancy to make your should sore because youll love shooting it so much you will not be able to put it down.
I shoot 100g pyrodex in a 505g mini for hunting and about 60g for target plinking. YOU can feel the difference!!

Hello Rob , I speak of a full built by Parker Hale,with a 1/48 inchs twist and progressive deepness .
when Parker Hale had stopped his production , they sent barrels to italian gunmakers .
I believe that this reserve of barrels is finished since 1 or 2 years. In Europe we found now Italians Enfield always with barrels stamped"parker Hale" , they have kept the 5 grooves but unfortunatly no the progressive deepness.
In mine I shot a RCBS 58-500 bullet with a cavity improved (drawing like a "M ")( weight 570 gr and the shirt is 0.1 inch thick
my lube is a custom SPG and 60gr of FFFG ( Swiss N°2).
IT is a Man load !and shot more one or two MLAIC serial is not pleasant .
For my wife ( She shot with a Zouave)I have bought a Hodgdon. I am making about this bullet some trials with my Enfield in view to reduce the recoil ( Each new season is harder for my old shoulder :winking: ).

Thanks alot for all the responses!

Straight from Navy Arms.... Cold Hammer Forged barrel, 1-48 and the rifling is progressive. 8 thou difference between the breech and muzzle. This is exactly the difference in the originals according to my refernces anyway (.013 to .005). I guess I am really interested in the twist of the barrel and was wondering about the merits of both the 1-60 and 1-48.

Very helpful, as usual..
Thanks, Rob

Back