• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chocolate Recipe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Smith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I have read that, back in the 1700s, chocolate was issued as part of military rations.

I understand that this was not milk chocolate, but something more akin to baking chocolate -- hard, bitter and crumbly.

Does anyone have a recipe to make this stuff? I've had it, and I find it provides quite a boost of energy when hiking. Unfortunately, it's hard to find.

I read in the distant past that it could be made from baking chocolate powder, but it wasn't important to me at the time so I didn't retain that knowledge.

Seems to me, though, that it was pretty close to mixing powder with water and a bit of sugar to make a dough, then drying it in the oven..?

Something like that?

Thanks,

Josh

Go to the Mexican foods section in your area grocery stores and look for Mexican Chocolate. Better yet, find it in a Mexican Grocery store These stores are popping-up about everywhere! There are several different types of this chocolate and it can even be ordered on-line!

Rick

I'd agree on the mexican chocolate. It is gritty and a bit sugary. I'm sure it's close to old time chocolate. Had some yesterday. My parents gave me some from a trip they were just on.

Why not just buy some baking chocolate squares from the baking section of your local grocery store? That's what I did....

It's just not as fun.

Half my enjoyment comes from making my own stuff -- parched corn, hardtack, jerky, etc.

Thanks!

Josh

Josh Smith said:
It's just not as fun.

Half my enjoyment comes from making my own stuff -- parched corn, hardtack, jerky, etc.

Thanks!

Josh

I am of the same mind, however I don't have a problem with buying some things that would also have been available for purchase at the time. Especially some of the very specialized items such as: chocolate, maple sugar and rum.

Back