• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chiappa 1859 Sharps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have the link/url of that video ? I like to see that evolution or "disaster"...
This could be not very important if it's different of the Pedersoli way of made...

Timestamped for your viewing pleasure. Same thing Pedersoli did so that the brass tube folks are happy. Ruins the entire design of the plate and I doubt they will ever return to their old ways.

With this, there is really nobody anymore that makes the accurate plates. Which means that once your plate is done, you are done as well. Only way to get a new one would probably to hit up Shiloh or to ask a gunsmith, if they could make a plate for you. What a hassle. They should have just kept selling those brass inserts for the people wanting to shoot brass tubes and leave the plate alone so that you wouldn't ruin your falling block completely. As a fan of the percussion Sharps, I am very displeased.

I know what they were thinking and I heavily dislike it. I am dissapointed that Chiappa made the same move.

Can’t someone here help him out?

If only. A lot of things that a fan of ACW arms would like are not available here. I'd probably finally buy a Pedersoli Mississippi rifle, if there was anybody here selling the alternative sights one could put on there. But alas, nobody does.

Thks for the link and the video, I just have looked the video : the plates are exactly copy of Pedersoli with all the Pedersoli faults (like on mine)...
Two solutions may be : with O rings (bit like Charlie Hahn system) but a bit complex, or changing the new bad plate for a copy of an ancient one. In the two case, a machinist is needed also if making a copy of an old one seems simplest solution...
What a shame, these falling blocks were great before people want to use only brass tubes in those Sharps.... Modern world...
- Sharps Mod
- Another Pedersoli plate :

Capture d’écran du 2021-09-11 03-18-44.png

I have a high tolerance. People praise the Garret to high heavens but from the ill-fitting steel parts to the pellet primer deciding to kill itself I cannot subscribe to that notion. Don't get me wrong, I love the rifle. It's just that everyone has a different opinion on things I suppose. I own a Chiappa 1855 Springfield and it is a fine rifle. So I don't think I will have many problems with another Chiappa firearm. Especially for the price. Shoots great too.

Happy for your friend. If a rifle is not fun, there is no use in having it. Did he tell you what felt cheap about it?

Pedersoli also apparently still has the problem with their "improved" breech block. Not good for paper cartridges. They tried to improve a system that didn't need improving. Our good friend Christian Sharps knew exactly what he was doing. You will never get a percussion Sharps completely gas sealed and that is fine. The originals weren't either.

Yeah Wano is a german powder. I use it and it works fine.

That's very good. Of course I would need to experiment with the load again but I'd like to start off with my standard load and go from there. I might one day switch from the ringtail to the richmond bullets, but I currently still have a big stockpile of ringtails, so that is what I will use. 6 wing caps + tissue paper bottom = 100% ignition for me. Very accurate. If I can find the picture of the last range session I will post it.
Does your Garret have his cartouche stamped behind the saddle ring bar? If not, it's one of those that was put together after Garret terminated his production contract with Palmetto. They were of inferior quality.

Does your Garret have his cartouche stamped behind the saddle ring bar? If not, it's one of those that was put together after Garret terminated his production contract with Palmetto. They were of inferior quality.

It's not a cavalry Sharps. It's one of those Berdan ones. Is there a way to determine this on one of those?

What a shame, these falling blocks were great before people want to use only brass tubes in those Sharps.... Modern world...

Sadly. And we don't have a european Charlie Hahn to fix it.

"Pedersoli also apparently still has the problem with their "improved" breech block. Not good for paper cartridges. They tried to improve a system that didn't need improving. Our good friend Christian Sharps knew exactly what he was doing. You will never get a percussion Sharps completely gas sealed and that is fine. The originals weren't either."

IDK about that. Both of my Shiloh 1863's have so little leakage that it only shows up when you remove the fore end wood. A really negligible amount of fouling.

After cleaning the block and the gas plate I lube it all up with bore butter. It's easy to remove after for cleaning and I have no binding during shooting. I don't usually shoot more than 20 rounds.

"Pedersoli also apparently still has the problem with their "improved" breech block. Not good for paper cartridges.
Admittedly, Pedersoli's two types of blocks aren't the best, but by manipulating the lever once or twice between shots, they don't jam. On the other hand, when it comes to leaks, there's plenty to worry about (when you don't know about them). Even with an O-ring assembly, it's not the best you can find...
Apart from the risks of blockage and leakage, the guns work well and are extremely accurate. They may not be as good as a Sharps Shiloh, but the purchase price is far from that of a Shiloh rifle...

I can highly recommend Charlie Hahn's process. He has done four percussion Sharps for me over the years, including my Armi Sport 1859 Infantry Rifle. Great rifle after his conversion. Others have include a Shiloh, a Garrett, and one IAB. He is an excellent craftsman. I did buy one Pedersoli Infantry rifle and sent it back. The quality of the Armi Sport was far better than the Pedersoli. YMMV.

Back