• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheek piece on a Hawken,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 54092

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Gemmer to be precise, is it part and parcel of every original? I'm awaiting an Investarms kit and wonder what disaster would befall me if I sanded the cheek piece out? (Tongue in cheek). How many have done this, anyone? The gun's a defilement from the gitgo, being a lefty, so no real loss for the majority of the population of planet earth. I don't remember either one of my TC Hawkens ever having a cheek piece. I'm a fan of asymmetricalcality.

A cheek rest can be both elegant and functional.

Attachments

• EdgeHawken3.jpg
    EdgeHawken3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
Gemmer to be precise, is it part and parcel of every original? I'm awaiting an Investarms kit and wonder what disaster would befall me if I sanded the cheek piece out? (Tongue in cheek). How many have done this, anyone? The gun's a defilement from the gitgo, being a lefty, so no real loss for the majority of the population of planet earth. I don't remember either one of my TC Hawkens ever having a cheek piece. I'm a fan of asymmetricalcality.
Do what you want. Being a budget kit and not really a Hawken, you can not hurt anything. One real Hawken was like the drawing below.
IMG_2436_crop_zpsmbpozbou.jpg

You must of had Renegades, TC Hawkens do have cheek pieces.
Defilement??????

The GPR or Gemmer are great quality muzzleloders in that market.
At one time for an off the shelf factory made rifle, they were the best as far as 19th Century styling.

I have a right handed GPR and I shoot it left handed most of the time.
I would not consider taking the cheek off of that rifle.
It’s a pleasing gun to look at and the cheek is part of that.
You would not be doing it any favors by removing the cheek.

I would concentrate on just finishing the rifle well.

@ hunter Didn't realize there were so many Hawken snobs here. You sound like TVM when I requested they leave the cheek piece off of my "custom" Leman, they said they couldn't attach their name to it. I have to wonder if I had walked into a gunsmith shop during the day when Real Hawkens (all today are replicas) were being built and requested the stock be straight sided if the smith would refuse my business.

@ hunter Didn't realize there were so many Hawken snobs here. You sound like TVM when I requested they leave the cheek piece off of my "custom" Leman, they said they couldn't attach their name to it. I have to wonder if I had walked into a gunsmith shop during the day when Real Hawkens (all today are replicas) were being built and requested the stock be straight sided if the smith would refuse my business.
From what I've read they would accommodate you without hesitation. They built a lot of rifles that didn't conform 100% to their normal pattern although they kept true to form in general layout. In fact I've seen a picture of 7 Hawken rifles and no two were identical although all were easily identified as Hawkens.

Probably throw ya to the curb and pelt you with road apples :ghostly:

Mine didn't.
Mine DOESN'T.

Interesting thing about the cheek-piece is it's one of the evolutions in the development of rifles in North America.
The rifle-smithing that came from the Germaners' Jeager rifles. The early colonial rifles had the square rest, but that changed to what we have there. Beavertail. Nothing more American.
Sand away, Commie.

Latest posts

Back