• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Checking in from Oregon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reb_Cav2

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all currently writing from the Middle East but reside in the Pacific Northwest specifically in Oregon. About 6 years ago I went to my first Civil War Reenactment and feel in love with the Hobby so I have been participating for the past 5 years. The following summer I took my Boy Scout troop to a Summer Camp on the Oregon Coast near Fort Clatsop and the camp has a 1:1 Replica of the Fort on it’s property and I spent a lot of time time there shooting the .50 Hawken style rifles and had a lot of fun but not nearly as much as I did when the range master brought out his 1777 Charleville and allowed a few scout masters to shoot it. I have been hooked on the flint lock rifle ever since but have not had the time to build one till now, or more accurately when I get home from over here. I am hoping to build the first one with my oldest son and as my other children get older I will build one with each that are interested.
Currently I have (all Reproduction) a Smith Carbine, an 1861 Springfield Rifle, an 1803 Harpers Ferry Rifle, and an 1858 Remington New Army revolver. I have yet to live fire any of these since the Civil WAr era guns are used for reenacting and the Harpers Ferry I purchased just before my deployment. I plan on shooting the Harpers once I return home and while I build the new Long gun that I have yet to choose as of yet.
I do look forward to learning from you all while I build the guns and the accrutrements that have to go with each one (I am a lucky guys since my wife is 100% on board with each gun getting all the shooting accrutrements) and I am hoping each of my children want to build a gun so I may have a few new guns in the next 10 or so years. My plan is to start with an easy kit and get more in depth as I progress in my builds.
Thank you for having me. Sorry it is such a long intro. And thank you to the Forum staff for assisting me in getting this account functional.
Respectfully
Reb_Cav2 aka John

Hey John, glad to have you here! And thanks for what you are doing over there as well!

Dan

Welcome aboard, what part of Oregon do you live in?

Welcome to the MLF Reb and thank you for your service! Gald you found our camp. There are lots of friendly knowlegable folks willing to share a lifetime of experience. Please post a few pic's if you can of your build, we always like to see others talents.

WIll do as soon as I decide which one I want to build and the best place to get the kit from for a very novice builder since it will be my very first. The only thing I do know is I do not want a two piece stock on my Long Rifle.
Thank you fro the sentiments.
Reb_Cav2

Welcome Brother in arms. You'll find a wealth of knowledgeable folks here so any Q's you have ask.
As for the weapons used for only reenacting clean them up good and have someone give them a good look. Should they be like the ones I have then a real good cleaning (as there are some out there that can not grasp the concept of proper weapons maintenance) and you should be able to live shoot them. So Have a seat and fill yer tin cup as the coffees jest finished boiling. Be safe over there and get home safe Brother.

Welcome John, thanks for all you guys are doing over there. Sounds like you have a great start to a muzzle loading arsenal.

John,
Thank you for your service, sir!
When you get back, hope you get the opportunity to burn much powder.
In the mean time, stay safe and join us at the campfire!

John: Yes, thank you for serving our country; come home soon, and in one piece!
There a bunch of guys here from Oregon, and many of them from the Willamette Valley. If you are home by late summer, keep an eye on events at Fort Stevens around Labor Day.

Bill,
If I make it home in time for Labor Day weekend I will be dressed in Grey at Fort Stevens and reenacting the American Civil War with my family like we do every year. And even if I am not home by then I would encourage all to come check it out since this is the year we are remembering the 150th Anniversary of the beginning of the war. It should be a good show.
Thank you for the welcome and I look forward to meeting some of the Oregon Clan when I get home at some of the shoots with my son.
Take care and have a great summer.
John

HEY!! Welcome aboard I'm new myself and have already benifited from the folks here,lots of interesting topics and helpful people.I agree about the 2 piece stock.Take care of your self and keep your head down.chuckr

Latest posts

Back