• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheap Rawhide

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello All, Just a reminder that if you are planing a project that requires rawhide you can go to your local pet shop and buy a big rawhide dog bone and if you let it sit in water overnight it will be soft and workable in the morning.
:v
TheGunCellar

Yep,that has been brought up before,but thanks for the reminder...Great tip!!!!
snake-eyes :thumbsup:

I'm going to bump this with a bit of a warning. Please, when using the rawhide you get from dog bones, be sure to add some bleach to the water while soaking, and when you take it out let it dry wipe it down with a 25% solution of bleach/water. The rawhide in the dog bones is NOT clean (in the very worst way) and you can develop a severe infection from the bacteria if you have any kind of open sore/scratch/cut on your hands while handling it.

Brokenlaig said:
I'm going to bump this with a bit of a warning. Please, when using the rawhide you get from dog bones, be sure to add some bleach to the water while soaking, and when you take it out let it dry wipe it down with a 25% solution of bleach/water. The rawhide in the dog bones is NOT clean (in the very worst way) and you can develop a severe infection from the bacteria if you have any kind of open sore/scratch/cut on your hands while handling it.

Or, just give it to your dog? :haha:

Use latex gloves till it has been Cloroxed, was my Doctors recommendation.Better safe than sorry these days, never can tell where that hide has been.

Boiling the rawhide dog bone to soften it will kill any bacteria that's on it without using any chemicals.

The bleach might serve another purpose. I made a couple of patch knives and used rawhide chew to make the sheaths. I had them on display to sell at a rendezvous and a passing dog grabbed one! :cursing: I got it back before he marked it up, but the point being they are at risk to dogs used to the smell. So don't leave them laying around where a dog might get at it!
Wanders

Back