• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheap knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
I found a cheap knife that is a keeper in a thrift store today for $5, it has a 7/1/2" blade with a tang that tapers both ways, (Universal) is ledgable on the left side, I will probably clean it up and make a sheath and use as is.These are not as easy to find as they were ten or twenty years ago.

P3030081.jpg

That should look real good oil up that handle or wax it and put it in a leather sheath you have a dandy!

I will probably make a dried to fit snug rawhide sheath and cover it with wool, fur or leather and it will tuck into the sash.It almost fits a sheath I have but is not quite snug enough.

I've got one similar at work. It, also, says "Universal". I googled it once and found they went out of business 50 or so years ago, but had been in business for well over 100 years. Once of those companies that got involved in everything and "would never go out". Yours has been sharpened more and mine is quite a bit darker. Excellent blade and nice design!

I found a knife that was like the cva green river kit knives of the 70's no name on it but sharpened on both sides like a dagger I got it with an aluminum canning funnel for 1.00 at a thrift store when I was looking for a nice carbon knife to make a patch knife out of I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet sometimes you do good.

You don't really need for a blade to be forged. Just look for good carbon steel blades. Most all of these thin bladed kitchen types are hot stamped out of sheet. Forging adds nothing to steel quality. It is the choice of steel, and the heat treatment that makes the difference in quality.
Nice find TG.

Wick

Is 01 grade steel a good grade for a patch knife? Any as good or better?
Thanks

01 would be excellent for a patch knife. It is very abrasion resistant, but the heat treat cannot be properly done without a well controlled heat source. It is a poor choice for the average hobby builder unless you have access to a HT oven. 1080/84 is an easy backyard HT, and makes a very fine blade.

Stumblin Wolf said:
good find tg, BUT...I found TWO at an Amish flea market for 50 cents a piece! :grin: :thumbsup:
Now you guys are making me envious! All I ever see around here lately is the cheap stainless knives. I have found a couple of great old knives, but not lately.

Good find, I'm alway's looking for the well made Carbon Steel Blade's at Garage Sale's & Flea Market's, :hatsoff:

Thanks Wick-
Not doin' the HT myself, I'm buying a blade and gonna put my own curly maple handle on it, make a nice leather neck sheath for it, engrave it a little and give it to a buddy of mine for his birthday.
The blade is made of 01 but I wasn't sure that is a good grade for muzzle choppin
Thanks for the advice,
Finnwolf

Whoever does the heat treat, I would recommend a temper of 425° for an 01 blade chiefly used as a patch knife. that should put the hardness in a range of 60 Rc, give or take. Just my thought. 01 will hold a very good edge with any reasonable temper though. During the 60's, Randall knives were only 54/56 Rc, and they built their reputation on that. They don't run theirs much harder than that now. It is my understanding they raised it to around 58Rc. Hardness isn't everything. It is as much the steel make up and the HT proceedure, as it is the hardness that makes a great blade.

Back