• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Charles Daley Hawken .50 cal Question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought one of these used in very good condition and I can't find out anything about them on the web. It does say on the barrel Made in Italy. Question is are these 1:48 or 1:60 or 1:66. The owner I got it from said he was the original owner and he does a lot of ML shooting and hunting. He was a little unsure himself on the twist, he bought it in the early 70's. I haven't receieved it yet in the mail to check the twist rate.
Are all hawken's 1:48 generally?

Thanks

It should be a 1-60 or 1-66. To check it put a tight fitting patch on the jag, spray some WD-40 or put some oil on it and run it all the way down the bore. Before doing this check the bore with the rod to make sure the rifle isn't loaded of course. Then when the rod and patch are all the way down make a mark on the rod in line with the front sight right at the muzzle. Now slowly pull the rod out until it makes 1/4 turn from the sight. Now measure from the muzzle to the mark on the rod and multiply that number by 4. Example if it is 15" from the muzzle to the mark then 4x15=60 so it would be a 1-60" twist.

This is what I plan to do once I have the rifle in my hands to check for myself. I'm hoping it's a 1:60 or 1:66 I want to shoot round balls. Have done the inline thing and DID not like it. Had a Hawken many years ago, sold it and got the inline, not as much fun with the inline.
Will let you know what I find out once the Hawken is in my hands. Thanks for the help...

Are all hawken's 1:48 generally ? The orgs are 1X48. Fred :hatsoff:

MY C.D. HAWKEN IS 1:48. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW OLD IT IS. I BOUGHT IT USED

My dad had a couple Hawkens 50 cal. - they were 1 in 48.

Mopar
Do you have a Charles Daley Hawken also and you say your's is a 1:48 twist?

The barrel is probably made by Investarms of Italy. If so it will have large "I" stamped on the barrel along with some proof marks.

There was a post/link on this site that used to give info on the proof marks which allowed you to date the barrels but I think its been deleted. Does anyone have this info saved?

Checked it tonight, looks to be a 1:60 twist, 1/4 turn in 15 inches looks like I get to shoot the round balls. This is what I wanted to do, I'm a happy camper...

I thank you all for the help..

MLC

Latest posts

Back