• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chamber's York Kit.... Finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowpoke

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well... it done. This is the rifle that I've been caused me so many headaches and injures. The final insult came last night while putting in the barrel pins, I pushed one of the pin through the stock and took out a big chunk of wood on the other side, I fixed it with super glue. Then this morning, I broken the ramrod.... Oh well, it won, I'm a beaten man.
I sent Chambers a piece of worm stained maple that I got from a buddy of mine. Besides the stains it also had around 16 worm holes in the stock that I had to fill. I wanted a gun that was a little unique, and I think the worm stains give it a little character. It's 40 caliber and has a swamped Rice barrel. The trigger guard and triggers are not the ones that come with the kit. The kit is set up for a single trigger and I didn't want that for target work. So I got a double set trigger from Muzzleloader Builder's Supply and the guard from Brad Emig of Cabin Creek that was cast from an original. The triggers are suppose to be the same kind that were on Davy Crockett's York but I don't know, I just liked the look of them.
Couple thoughts on this kit. I was surprised at the amount of wood that I had to take off to make it conform to the lines of the gun. I also raised the cheek piece and the side plate molding was larger that the lock side, so I had to fit it. If you are considering buying any kit, understand that these thing do not snap together. Anyway, it's finished and thought you'd like to see...

SP

BeforeandAfter.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Beautiful! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Take a bow, take a break, and start the next one! ::

I see why you like that trigger assambly. Very good work overall!!! I have some spare hickory ramrods if you want one (or two) let me know. Hopefully, you won't lose something tapering it!

Mighty purdy Slowpoke, mighty purdy! I'm new to this forum but have been reading for a while. I'm building a Chambers kit right now. Would like to build enough of these to feel like I know what I'm doing. For me it was a large investment of $ and time. I've gone so slow it's maddening but lacked the confidence to "just do it". You did a great Job it appears to me. I did a hawken from Golden Age Arms a while back. Perc. This was much easier than that one but that experience helped me a bit with the confidence thing.
Curious which cal. did you build? Let us know how she shoots. I'm afraid I can't see well enough to ever shoot iron sights well again but I can wear magnifiers and enjoy building them. Sorr for the long windedness. mallard

Very Nice Slowpoke. :applause: :thumbsup: Now I'll be happy to give you my PO box# so if you dont like it you can just drop it off(no questions asked. :::crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

slowpoke ,in spite of all the troubles you had with this rifle you turned out a beautiful firearm .my skills are nowhere close to your engraving .if it makes you feel better i took a chunk out of my lancaster the same waybut lost the sliver so all i could do was fill it and re finish it :cry:but you dont know its there unless your looking at it .both of my guns are pretty plain :redface: compared to yours i am almost scared to post them ,but i will hopefully tomorrow
i hope your troubleswith this gun are behind you now and you will enjoy many years of good shooting with the old devil and happy thanksgiving to all and yours :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I really appreciate it... to be honest I think this is my last kit. It was so frustrating I thought I could knock it out quick, but I got tired of it. Wait till next month, you'll see my Beck "inspired" hunting rifle, it's not finished yet. For a preview you can goto "General Interest" and look under "What's in your patchbox". I thought about putting patchbox on this one but I thought it would cover up the stains.

SP

I call it "Beck Inspired" because the carving and patchbox would have him rolling over in his grave.... everything else is Beck.

SP

Hey poke if you dont mind me asking how much you got into the nice gun you built. What did the wood cost you what were the dimention of the piece of wood

I got that piece of wood for $25. If it didn't have those stains, it would have cost for around $225-$230. The stock blank was 3 inches thick and around 65 inches long.
Chamber's kit cost around $770 + S/H. I sent the stock to Bob Lepley (the guy that does the kits) in PA and Chambers took $80 off the cost of the kit.

What do you think of the stains? I think it turned out nice, it's a little different, like me. :)

I am a logger and i love to see curly wormy maple its make a nice peice of wood i have few longbow built from it .

:master: Beautiful, We'd never know you had any problems if you hadn't told us. :thumbsup:

Excellent Slowpoke. I have been slowly plugging away at a Chamber's Kit. I am not sure if you are inspiring me or making me feel inadequate right now.
Nice work! :thumbsup:

Keith
If you need any help, please feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to help in anyway I can. What kind of rifle are you building?
Here's a picture of my Chamber's Smooth Rifle. He called it a Virginia Smooth Rifle until it came to light that the original was probably made in Pennsylvania. :)

SmoothRifle2.jpg

Smoothbutt2.jpg

Slowpoke,
Thank you for the offer. I am building the Isaac Haines rifle in .50 with a swamped barrel.

Back