• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caucasian Miquelet "Cossack" Pistol & Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They must be for a partial takedown of the miquelet locks. Or they have the slots in them to save material and save weight. I’m hoping to get an original Turkish miquelet lock soon. I may make a copy to see if it helps in disassembling it.
If you do, please keep us posted. I still can't figure this one out. LOL

Rick

Found a passage from "Notes about the journey to the southern deputies of the Russian state in 1793-1794" by Peter Simon Palace
ingush.jpg

"These are the most honest and bravest people who managed to defend their independence, obeying only their elders or priests. This is the only people of the Caucasus who has preserved the shield as part of its weaponry. The shields are made of leather-covered wood and are enclosed with oval-shaped iron hoops. The short sharp pick, which is part of their weapons, serves not only for defense, but also as a support for the rifle, which is placed between the slings of this pick, strengthening its end in the ground, allowing it to shoot the target more accurately."

This can be seen in some of the photos I've posted previously. Ingushetia is a small republic in modern day Russia between Chechnya and Dagestan. I know of two bladesmiths who are still making the Caucasian Kindjal daggers in the old way there.

Here are some more photos of Khirimi miquelets
gruian.jpg

teberda.jpg

svaneti.jpg

bezenga1913.jpg

an interesting pair of Tromblon blunderbuss'. Normally we think of them being used as "knee guns" but this long barreled one seems too long for that and much too short to be shouldered.
002.jpg

to give some perspective on just how small these usually are
49630_0.jpg

Picked up this adorably small lock made in Bulgaria as a direct copy of a Caucasian Khirimi. Will eventually build something with this. Still a little rough but will get around to cleaning it up and polishing.

minimiq.jpg

I also wanted to point out that I was recently told by a Circassian blacksmith that this tool is used as a screwdriver for Khirimi, flint knapper, fire starter and the slot is for "smoothing out any nicks on their kindjal (dagger) or shashka (saber)"
213208-109DFA06-514F-46A6-8A98-3E636500070B.jpeg

Though there seem to be many variations, I'm unsure of how the other designs function

Last edited:
Hi Cyten

That small lock is a nice find. Congrats. That would make a nice, slim Caucasian style pistol. The pistol size locks tend to run small, especially the Circassian style as below. Builders in the Region seemed to be obsessed with weight. Both pistols and long guns are very light.

Glad you were able to find out about that multi-tool. OK. Now we know what the long slot was used for. Makes sense.

Rick
Caucasian Pistol 001 (Medium).jpg

When you are running up and down mountains all day, too much weight is a problem. It seems to me most original guns we discuss are way lighter than the reproductions.

A really good friend of mine is currently backpacking through the Caucuses and texted me that he saw those guns I like in the Georgia national museum lol
If he is coming through Armenia, tell em to get a hold of me, not much in the way of muzzleloaders out here, but have plenty of other things to see and do.

Amazingly fine work done by a bunch of Georgia Crackers. Truly wish I could afford one of these fantastic firearms.
Sometimes you get lucky and come across an auction that doesn't know what it is and labels it middle eastern/african/afghanistani and sells for much less!

If he is coming through Armenia, tell em to get a hold of me, not much in the way of muzzleloaders out here, but have plenty of other things to see and do.

Sometimes you get lucky and come across an auction that doesn't know what it is and labels it middle eastern/african/afghanistani and sells for much less!
It looks like he is flying back to California today. He sent me some pics and your region of the world is incredibly beautiful!
60BEB7C4-4654-46AA-A733-BE56763648B6.jpeg
75374FF0-5669-44FD-A2FC-9FD6ED30986C.jpeg

Last edited:
There is beautiful nature out here, unfortunately the most gorgeous is in Nagorno-Karabakh and cut off by our not so friendly neighbors at the moment.
On a positive note, came across this interesting 3/4 stocked Khirimi that appears to have originally been fitted with a western styled flintlock and converted to miquelet.
Screenshot 2023-08-16 234800.png
Screenshot 2023-08-17 120704.png
Screenshot 2023-08-17 120758.png

And some interesting photos featuring pistols and their traditional holsters

266187_original.jpg
265738_original.jpg
Ani_Kobaxidze_05.jpg
usatauro13.jpg
Nana_Machavariani - 547.jpg

Hi Cyten

That Khirimi does indeed look like it was converted from flintlock to the traditional Caucasian style miquelet. In many of the Eastern market regions the miquelet was considered stronger than the flintlock. That looks to be an expert conversion.

And thanks for the additional photos. Until now, it's been difficult to locate original photos showing the holsters for their pistols. Assuming many simply tucked their pistols in their belt or sash. Along with these photos, I've notice that some holsters have a flap, and others do not.
I had a holster made for my pistol based on my imagination and a couple scant photos. Unfortunately, it has metal eyelets, which would not be period correct. But I didn't think about it at the time. But it's ok to use. LOL

Rick
DSC00655 (Medium).JPG

Find myself back on the otherside of the iron curtain again, some Model 1844 Cossack rifles on display
View attachment 255169
Hi Cyten

Thanks for the photo. Interesting to note even on semi-military stylish shoulder guns, the use of ball triggers and lack of trigger guards. Did the descriptions happen to mention wheather the barrels were rifled or smooth bore ?

Rick

Hi Cyten

Thanks for the photo. Interesting to note even on semi-military stylish shoulder guns, the use of ball triggers and lack of trigger guards. Did the descriptions happen to mention wheather the barrels were rifled or smooth bore ?

Rick
I mistakenly wrote they were model 1844 (which are smoothbore) when in fact they are model 1860 (which are rifled) these are 100% military guns made at the state arsenals of Tula, Izhevsk and the foreign contracted facilities, the decorated rifle is marked Tanner & Cie which is a firm in Liege, Belgium who also built the Russian copies of the Brunswick rifle, the M1843 Luttich (which is just Liege, in German). The ball trigger with no guard was utilized in an official capacity even into the breechloading era with the M1870 Berdan №2 Cossack models.

Were the ring hammers for easy cocking, or for a sling hook?
I had never heard of the ring hammers being used for a sling hook, though I suppose it could hold one. I doubt it though, as the Danish & Dutch carbines that used the same hammer also had sling ring/bar.

I guess it would be a slip proof way to cock the hammer if your hands were wet or bloody.

Latest posts

Back