• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Casting round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buckknife,.... Hey, thanks for tha "information", I find it very innerest'n!!
I never could git "good results" from a bottom-pour pot, and I have better luck cast'n with a ladle!!

I remember see'n "cut-off" plates be'n sold for the Lyman blocks,... if I remember correctly, they was "thicker" then the original plate on Lyman's blocks!! (might jest be simular to the "thicker sprues" you mentioned!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Now if I could jest rember "who" was sell'n'em,.... (think it was some fella from Texas!)!! ::

Rollingb

Get on the BPCR site and ask there, I know the subject of thicker sprue plates for Lyman molds has come up before and there is some one who sells them

http://groups.msn.com/BPCR/messages.msnw

Steve Brooks custom makes molds using saeco blanks that have very thick plates for BPCR but may be money wasted for a round ball mold. (excellent molds by the way)

I cast with a laddle, and the first couple balls have wrinkles then the molds is warm enough so that the ball are smooth. When pouring in the lead after the mold is full I still keep pouring for a 1/2 second or so. Yes the lead runs down the side but it pops right off when the spruce plate is opened and I have very little problems with air holes in the finished product. Don't know what the rest of you do but it works for me.

But like i say i have never cast a round ball,dont supose i ever will as long as i keep worken where im at now. :haha:

I hear ya. Kind of like a mailman taking a hike on his day off. Thanks for the info. It really helps me to understand the casting process a lot better.

Ironwood,
Yes, I am interested. I am trying to locate bee keepers in the Denver area, but haven't had much luck. I think that there was a disease or something, that wiped out a lot of the bees around here several years ago. I have a buddy that used to raise them but does no longer. Maybe he's still has some wax lying around, collecting dust. I'll have to ask. him.

Tommy.... Did you ever put something where you would be sure you could find it when you needed it? I do know where the guy lives. If I don't find his business card by Monday I'll drive down and get the information. :(

There is a bee keeper that lives near me. He sells his beeswax for $4 a pound.

I can't help myself from this.... "What about ear wax?" :winking: :haha:

I can get pounds of the stuff (it seems like daily) from my kids...
Hey, wax is wax... NOT! :p

No Powder: That was another thing i meant to mention in My post,Not to worry about a little overflow!I know all the books say to just have a dab of lead in the hole,but I think most beginners tend to pour too slow worrying about being neat,hence wrinkles.Also if the cutter is working properly there will not be a nub big enough to throw the ball off balance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back