• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

casting rb

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Hawken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i am new to casting but i have stick-on wheel weight lead that i have been using.it seems to be okay but i don't have a hardness tester.i had 5 lbs of buckshot that i melted down. this must be hard stuff because i retrieve all my rb and these didn't even flatten out.my question is
should i keep using this stuff? it doesn't group bad but is tough to load
is it harder on my barrel
i have read of using harder lead for more penetration would this be better for hunting? i shoot into 10 1 inch plywood boards so i can re use my lead

Wheel weight lead won't hurt your barrel. You have a patch between the ball and barrel. They are just not the best for hunting. The pure lead balls do flatten some on impact, as the hard lead would not. Some use the finger nail test. If you can dent it with your finger nail its soft lead.

Wheel weight also will cast a slightly larger but slighty lighter weight ball than pure lead will. Once you get your patch thickness worked out they shoot just fine. I used to have a friend that used straight linotype for his balls and he killed a ton of deer with those "Hard Balls" and swore by them. He is gone now, died on a turkey hunt some years back. :shake:

runnball said:
Wheel weight also will cast a slightly larger but slighty lighter weight ball than pure lead will. Once you get your patch thickness worked out they shoot just fine. I used to have a friend that used straight linotype for his balls and he killed a ton of deer with those "Hard Balls" and swore by them. He is gone now, died on a turkey hunt some years back. :shake:

Pardon theignorance but what is "linotype"?

Linotype was used in the printing industry to cast type letters. It is a fairly hard alloy and much preferred by modern pistol shooters for casting bullets. It is getting to be hard to get since the printing industry is pretty much switched over to computerized, digital stuff. Emery

mazo kid said:
Linotype was used in the printing industry to cast type letters. It is a fairly hard alloy and much preferred by modern pistol shooters for casting bullets. It is getting to be hard to get since the printing industry is pretty much switched over to computerized, digital stuff. Emery

THANK YOU!

Golfswithwolves said:
Wattsy, you are making me feel old.

Well you know when you turn the corner of 35 its all down hill from there...... :rotf: :rotf:

:bull: Im older then that but I was educated in an Oregon pubelick school and can only be expected to know so much :wink:

Back