• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cast-On for L/H early lancaster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On both the spec built early Lancaster and Bucks County LRs that I build, 3/16" castoff is always used and suits most people. Too much castoff can cause "cheek slap" if the butt stock drops aren't correct.

Also....w/ excessive castoff., the "crooked" toeline mandates a bent TG. W/ the 3/16" castoff, I "tilt" the butt stock toe back towards the center and end up w/ hardly any or no castoff asre the toe line.......Fred

If you want to calculate your "personal fit" you can use this method.

Now it was designed for CF rifles (so you sometimes can't alter the drop and have the rifle look the way it's supposed to), but it will give "your" numbers and you can incorporate as much or little as you like into your own build.

For what it's worth, here it is...

(D - which I failed to label thoroughly is for length of pull)

Gunfit1_zps1b255445.jpg

I did those calculations and came up with a B flat minor chord. I may have made an error.

I'm with Zonie on this. I would not go to 1/2" that is too much. The most I ever used was 3/8" and that works pretty well but on a big caliber it will kick you in the face some when shooting heavy loads and lots of them. 5/16" is plenty. Another thing is you are better of with a little less pull than too much.

Obviously, :slap: that is because the guy only has 1 arm.... :idunno:

But back on point, I feel 1/4" is to most shooters liking, and I would not go over
3/8" cast on for sure.

Keith Lisle

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure how much cast to have in my l/r, but I knew I don't want too much cast...because no one right handed will be able to shoot it! I once tried to shoot a shotgun with a lot of cast off, I don't think I ever could look down the barrel, or hit anything.
Eterry

Latest posts

Back